Message Boards Message Boards

Uncought Throw in CDF Player Pro 10 from Network Drive

Posted 9 years ago

Some users from one of our customers get the following Error messages:

Throw::nocatch : Uncought Throw[Parallel`Preferences`Private`nopref[Version],Preferences] returned to top level.

This happens when starting an application which does not even make use of the parallel functionality. The installation is somewhat unusual and I suspect the message could be correlated with it: the CDF Player is installed on a shared network drive where the license keys for every client computer is shared. I'm not even sure whether that is fully supported but could imagine it is probably not well tested. The problem occured for some of them when many of them were starting the application at the same time, but I have no feedback whether it also happens when they don't start all at the same time...

The question is whether anyone has seen that before and/or knows what can be done to avoid it...

POSTED BY: Albert Retey
2 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

I have now further investigated this and found that the first time one evaluates:

$KernelID

in CDF Player Pro Version 10.0.2 an uncatched Throw will interrupt the evaluation:

In[1]:= $KernelID

During evaluation of In[1]:= ReplaceAll::reps: {$Failed,Version->3.01,CVSRevision->1.37,<<17>>,debugPreference[Batch]->False,Parallel`Palette`paletteConfig[PCT,PlayerPro]->{Automatic,False,True,Retry},debugPreference[PlayerPro]->False} is neither a list of replacement rules nor a valid dispatch table, and so cannot be used for replacing.

During evaluation of In[1]:= ReplaceAll::reps: {$Failed,Version->3.01,CVSRevision->1.37,<<17>>,debugPreference[Batch]->False,paletteConfig[PCT,PlayerPro]->{Automatic,False,True,Retry},debugPreference[PlayerPro]->False} is neither a list of replacement rules nor a valid dispatch table, and so cannot be used for replacing.

During evaluation of In[1]:= Throw::nocatch: Uncaught Throw[Parallel`Preferences`Private`nopref[Version],Preferences] returned to top level.

Out[1]= Hold[
 Throw[Parallel`Preferences`Private`nopref["Version"], Preferences]]

It is quite easy to fix by adding a Catch[\ $KernelID,_] before actually calling $KernelID and suppressing the error messages. This seems to be fixed in version 10.1.0 of the player which is now available.

Posted 9 years ago

I have now more feedback and have a user that sees that problem even with a local installation of CDF Player Pro Version 10.0.2. Has anyone seen this?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract