|
4 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Derangements and System` Prefix

Posted 9 years ago

Is there a Mathematica 10.2 function (or option) that creates derangements?

Since one doesn't seem to exist, I've used Combinatorica's Derangement function. To avoid conflicts between Combinatorica and Mathematica, I prefix Mathematica functions with System, e.g., SystemCycles@{{1,2,3}} rather than simply Cycles@{{1,2,3}} (if Combinatorica isn't loaded).

But it's irritating to constantly type this prefix. Is there a way to avoid typing the prefix when Combinatorica is loaded?

Thanks.

POSTED BY: Bruce Colletti
4 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

Thanks Dan.

This is eerie: although I had been concerned about creating all derangements, I ended the workday wondering about the value of random derangements -- the very matter that your link addressed! I had forgotten all about MathGroup.

In addition to being scary smart, the Wolfram Team apparently has ESP. That always helps in securing the marketplace and in product development.

It isn't difficult to define one's own Derangements function in a line or two of WL code. See this thread on StackOverflow for some very efficient implementations.

POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski
Posted 9 years ago

Thanks, Ilian. I'll use one of these if there's indeed no built-in functionality (in the kernel) like Combinatorica's Derangements function (which I'm now using but want to avoid because of the conflicts with the kernel).

Also maybe some methods in this thread.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract