Is this a discretization artefact?

Posted 9 years ago
POSTED BY: Yuri Zuev
3 Replies
Posted 9 years ago
Posted 9 years ago

Hello,

thank you for your help. A quick internet search for "Finite Elements"+Mesh+Spiders did not produce any relevant hits - only models of mechanical structures called "spiders", or comparison "mesh" ="spider web". Nor are they mentioned in the dissertation that you have referenced. Is it a common terminology?

For now I am producing mesh by myself, using hexahedral elements, following some examples from "Element Mesh Generation" guide. While still not perfect, it is an improvement.

One interesting thing I noticed is that same code that produces that square in ver. 10.3 DOES NOT produce square in ver. 10.0. I am going to investigate deeper - is it a difference between versions or between computers (the two versions of Mathematica are installed on different computers). However, if I try to NDSolve in ver. 10.0 (under Windows 10), the kernel just quits (the appropriate MathKernel.exe disappears from the task list). This never happened to me before and I am not sure what to make of it. Perhaps I'll start a different thread here somewhere.

This square is caused by so called spiders in the meshing. Spiders are considered in general as bad because the quality of the mesh determines the quality of the solution and a spider usually contains a lot of bad quality mesh elements. The mesh looks at all incomfortable, may be you take a deeper look into the reference pages and user manuals to find out the relevant parameters.

As far as meshing theory and practice is concerned, you may want to look into On boundary conforming anisotropic Delaunay meshes, the dissertation of Jens Krause (he is not a relative of mine, but was then a colleague of mine).

POSTED BY: Udo Krause
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract