Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
3 Replies
|
4 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Having trouble using Mathematica Online on an iPad.

Posted 9 years ago

I find that Mathematica Online running in a browser window does not accept input from either the IPad Pro virtual, the case cover keyboard or a blue-tooth keyboard. I have installed the Wolfram Cloud app and it sort of works with the virtual keyboard but not consistently with anything else. I am typing this note on my iPad using my case cover keyboard, I am using Safari at the moment but I have found the same results with chrome. Has anyone else seen this problem? Do you have a solution? Thanks. Rees Evans

POSTED BY: Celia Evans
3 Replies

I have been using Wolfram Cloud on my iPad for about four years now.

Here are some of the quirks. that you have to work with until Wolfram resolve them

for one thing you cannot cut and paste using the iPad in the browser version of Wolfram Cloud In the wolfram cloud app, you can paste, but only by creating a new line, there is no cut and paste from the touch menu

if you're connecting to external services such as open AI then if you have a keyboard attached, then you can paste the authorization token. in the app you have to type it manually, which makes it very unusable

The other thing about the Wolfram cloud app is that sometimes I have to tap around until it brings up the keyboard.

You cannot reformat a cell style In the wolframcloud app, but you can on the browser version

the app version offers a nice keyboard with common mathematica inputkeys the web version doesn't

also in the app version sometimes the notebook starts flashing and I have to reset the app

finally I find that browser version allows you to do a lot of file management while the app version is very lacking

To sum up I find there are functionalities that that I need to use the browser version and then they are functionalities were the app excels. I have to switch between the two. these are work arounds that I have gotten used to and the convenience of having Mathematica on the go on your iPad makes it worthwhile. I really hope that Wolfram will fix these inconvenience in the near future.

Happy doing math on the go!

POSTED BY: Jack I Houng

I’m replying to myself, which might not be the best idea, but the problem I mentioned 9 years ago is only slightly alleviated the most frustrating thing is having to type option spacebar any time I want a space. It would seem that such problems would have been uncovered in product testing and fixed years ago. Just saying.

POSTED BY: Celia Evans

I just tried Wolfram Programming Lab on iPad mini 4 in Safari. Very inconsistent keyboard behavior. With a new notebook open, it took random touching to get a cursor and an open keyboard after selecting the Wolfram Language Input. After getting one cell to evaluate, the keyboard would not stay up. I also could not get the gear icon near the cell bracket to activate. Very strange?

I have been using Wolfram Programming Lab on my MacBook Air in Safari with no problems.

POSTED BY: Timothy Ewing
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract