Message Boards Message Boards

Mathematica Import an .eps file

Posted 8 years ago

Hi, I am trying to import an .eps file into Mathematica on a Raspberry Pi and technical support gave me this link. http://community.wolfram.com/content?curTag=raspberry%20pi which has got me here with no solution to my problem.

I am using Mathematica version 10.3.1.0, Hardware is a Raspberry Pi 2 model B v1.1. and the Linux version is Raspbian Jessie version 4.1. My Problem is Importing .eps files gives a strange error message. "$Failed"

Here is the input and output from Mathematica

In[1]:=Export["aplot.eps", Plot[Sin[x], {x, 0, 2 Pi}]]

out[]:=aplot.eps

In[2];=Import["aplot.eps"]

LinkObject::linkd: Unable to communicate with closed link LinkObject['/opt/Wolfram/WolframEngine/10.3/SystemFiles/Converters/Binaries/Linux-ARM/PDF.exe',139,4].

out[]:=$Failed

.gif files are fine. I have existing .eps files that I would like to import, view and possible update.

Any suggestions to what the problem is and how to fix it.

My first thought was Mathematica error, Technical support response implies not. So installation error, using the image for rasbian off the Raspberry Pi web site, have updated, and upgraded with apt-get and installed LaTeX, nothing else.

Michael

POSTED BY: Michael Dutton
2 Replies
Posted 8 years ago

Thanks, That sort-of highlights the problem, trying to run a DOS/WINDOWS executable in raspbian (linux) does not work.

I have a solution, I use Latex, produce a pdf file and there is the eps file included in the document as I require.

This is really just to point out that there are some problems when using Mathematica on a Raspberry Pi and it's not supported by Mathemetica. Which means that obscure problems like this will not get fixed. The exporting eps files seems to work well enough, I have not found any problems, It's just the import that's the problem. So the link to a post script converter must be there somewhere.

The solution for Mathematica is easy but I could not find it (maybe I didn't look hard enough), a statement that some installations of Mathematica are unsupported, a list would be nice, or a known problems on unsupported systems page. (Or Both)

Michael.

Learn Like you'll live forever.

POSTED BY: Michael Dutton
Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 8 years ago

Run PDF.exe from the unix command shell (bash), it should print "Create Link: " and wait for (stdin) input (hit Ctrl-C to quit it).

If PDF.exe exits citing some error: that's why you got the "not too descriptive" error in Mathematica.

$ objdump -x -a PDF.exe | less -S

See if it says "NEEDS xxx" . If so, make you have all pkg installed to meet the needs listed (lib name, version). strace is another tool you might employ to uncover the issue.

Linux does have .ps and .pdf converters, so in the meantime you might convert to PDF or some other format and try importing that.

I use an older version of Mathematica which uses different Adobe binaries on Linux (different directory and filename). So i can't really say more, unless you posted more info about the issue maybe.

POSTED BY: Anonymous User
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract