|
5 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Linear Algebra - Question on finding points on plane

Posted 8 years ago

"Find a point R in the 3-dimensional space such that the points (0, 0, 0), (1, 2, 3), (2, 2, ?2), and R form a rectangle"

Could somebody please give me some direction as to how I would go about answering this question? Help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

5 Replies

The 4th point would be the sum of the vectors {1,2,3} + {2,2,-1} = {3,4,1}.

POSTED BY: S M Blinder
Posted 8 years ago

And of course David already gave you the solution:

Then the displacement to the point R would be the sum of the displacements to the second and third point. So what is it?

POSTED BY: Hans Milton
Posted 8 years ago

Jordan, a quick and dirty solution, using a CAD program, gives the point {3, 4, 1}. This is how it looks in Mathematica:

Graphics3D[
    Polygon[{{0, 0, 0}, {1, 2, 3}, {3, 4, 1}, {2, 2, -2}}],
    Axes -> True, AxesOrigin -> {0, 0, 0}, Boxed -> False
 ]

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Hans Milton

Hi David, thank you for your response. Could you provide me with your answer to see whether I have arrived at the same conclusion?

The three vectors (better expressed as Mathematica Lists with curly brackets) are the displacements of the three points from the origin. To define a plane the three of them should not be scalar multiples of one another. {0,0,0} is a scalar multiple of the other two but Is the third point displacement a multiple of the second point displacement?

In fact, to be part of a rectangle, the second and third displacements must be at right angles, which means their dot product is zero. Is it?

Then the displacement to the point R would be the sum of the displacements to the second and third point. So what is it?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract