Message Boards Message Boards

German language parsing support within Mathematica?

Posted 9 years ago

I was very disappointed in the limited German support of German in 10.3.x. I understand the full english support, but I thought non-english support would be there too! You have full dict data of many non-english am sure. When will this be fixed in Mathematica? I see some language parsing stuff in 10.4 is now strictly for English, not any non-english. Frustrated. Thanks

POSTED BY: Andrew Meit
4 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

Nope, am strictly talking about MMA, 10.3. Nevermind I get that Wolfram has backtracked on supporting parsing of other languages within MMA going forward with 10.3.1. From what I can tell from 10.4 docs, yes, its strictly English. I guess to further drive you to W/A to spend money. So much for my German parsing research I was so excited to do with 10.3. Moving on.

Posted 9 years ago

I am referring to language data to use for parsing. I wanted to give a german sentence and have MMA parse it, i.e. parts of speech, grammar tree etc... I hoped Wolfram would support at least fully the Romance languages out of the box?? I think Wolfram needs to be clearer what languages MMA fully supports in manipulating of them for study. Wolfram has the funds, tools, and resources to provide now what is needed. I am sure the German version of MMA would have full German parsing!! ;-)

I'm not sure where you read that, but basically everything is English-only. You have code-caption for code, and transliterate to translate words to other languages. Also you have different dictionaries. The W|A integration and free linguistic, the things you are referring to, is English-only. This might change in the future of course...

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman

Which functionality are you referring to? Wolfram Alpha integration, free linguistic input, the help-documentation? I'm pretty sure Wolfram does not advertise with other languages, other than code-captions for a select number of languages.

It is not that easy as you describe it, just having a dictionary and translations is not nearly enough. You really have to implement this case by case and it is a lot of work as each language just works very differently... Ok there are similarities between e.g. Spanish and Portuguese, and Dutch and German, but also many many exceptions....

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract