Message Boards Message Boards

Do you have excessive keyboard lag?

Posted 9 years ago

I have a problem in the mma interface - mma does not respond to keypresses until I let go of the key. For example, if I hold down the "x" key for several seconds, then mma shows nothing. Only when I let go does it show many x's.

Also, this is not just keyboard lag. If I run

(Pause[0.1];Print[#])&/@Range[50]

Then mma will not print anything till all of the 50 numbers have been submitted.

Yet if I increase the pause to 1, then mma will print each number one-by-one.

This problem makes working in mma v-e-r-y- s-l-o-w. Wolfram support cannot duplicate the problem and so cannot resolve it, although apparently one other person has reported such a problem. I am using mma 10.4 on a windows 10 computer - specifically, a Microsoft Surface Book computer.

Has anyone else found such a problem? I am wondering whether it is an issue with my computer - the Surface Books have various glitches (although I don't have any problems with any other applications on this computer). Does anyone have mma running on a Surface Book or Surface Pro 4? Or, does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks, Vilis

POSTED BY: Vilis Nams
2 Replies
Posted 9 years ago

Yes, this is all the same problem. I just recently discovered the second part.

It suggests that the underlying issue is not the keyboard, but how fast mma outputs things - that if they go too fast, then mma will wait till everything is finished. Or, mma outputs quickly, but then something inbetween mma and my monitor, waits.

POSTED BY: Vilis Nams

Is the first part of this still the same problem, or did you manage to resolve the issues you had then and they came back in a different form now?

(I still can't reproduce any of the symptoms with Mathematica 10 on various non-Microsoft Win10 devices, sorry.)

POSTED BY: Bianca Eifert
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract