Message Boards Message Boards

Perceptron, Multilayer Perceptron and Neural Networks

Posted 8 years ago

Question: How to Program a Multilayer Perceptron with Back Propagation

Please demonstrate how one would program a perceptron and multilayer perceptron in Mathematica using minimal built in functions. Further, please be exceptionally verbose in the explanation thereof.

Motivation

While there are many programming languages available with neural network libraries that extrude the need to program one by hand, I am asking this question as I specifically wish to become more familiar with Mathematica; learn the structure of programming a neural network by hand; and use neural networks with Mathematica in the future.

I believe, when searching the internet for perceptrons and Mathematica, that I found a Perceptron function built into a special package of Mathematica. While that would be sufficient per se, I am more in need of a guided explanation of how one is to do this. The mathematics of these neural networks are familiar to me from Haykin's book "Neural Networks and Learning Machines." It is the programming thereof, that has me flummoxed.

2 Replies

This is not exactly an answer to your question, but more of a comment.

In what concerns the educational point of view, I came across these two sources of information that might interest you:

• Simulating Neural networks with Mathematica, by James Freeman, 1994, Addison-Wesley -> this is a very very old book. For sure that its content is out of date in respect to current best practices both in what concerns Mathematica and the ANN topic. But for learning purposes, probably you can find something interesting in it.

• PSY 5038W - Introduction to Neural Networks . I haven't read the material (yet...).

Of course, there's a lot of other stuff going on in what concerns ANN and the Mathematica world, but of much less interest to your learning question. Nevertheless, for the sake of completeness, I'm adding other initiatives, some well known, and others less talked about:

I hope this helps you in some way, and please feel free to add to it,

POSTED BY: Pedro Fonseca

I have read James Freeman's book, and it was very disappointing for what I was looking for.

Again, it is more about the pedagogical aspect of learning how to program this by hand in mathematica.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract