2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How to use SphericalPlot3D?

Posted 8 years ago

Hello,

I’m learning how to use SphericalPlot3D. I’m using the following statement:

SphericalPlot3D[Cos[?],{?,0,?},{?,0,2 ?}]

I was expecting to get a cosine curve along y-axis rotated around the same axis. More or less like an hourglass. What I get is a sphere. What do I have to specify in SphericalPlot3D in order to get rotated vertical cosine?

When I use the following statement:

SphericalPlot3D[Cos[2 ?],{?,0,?},{?,0,2 ?}]

I would expect to get 2 hourglasses, one standing on the other along y-axis. I get something different. Where do I go wrong?

Thanks/Mikael

POSTED BY: Mikael Hakman
9 Replies
Posted 8 years ago

Wow, many thanks Henrik. It was SphericalHarmonicsY function that I tried to construct because I didn't know it was available in Mathematica. You need to square it for plotting otherwise the plot will be wrong for l=1.

The spherical harmonics are well defined - I propose you go for good references. I can not see any problem here, and having Mathematica at your fingertips there are even less problems:

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Henrik Schachner
Posted 8 years ago

My experiments show that for Cos[Theta], I should square but for Cos[2 Theta] I should not!?

Hello Mikael,

this happens because the radius you are plotting becomes eventually negative. Try:

SphericalPlot3D[Abs @ Cos[\[Theta]], {\[Theta], 0, \[Pi]}, {?, 0, 2 \[Pi]}]

Regards -- Henrik

Posted 8 years ago

Many thanks Henrik. Abs[Cos[Theta]] gives 2 spheres along y-axis not a cosine. Abs[Cos[2 Theta]] gives the same strange results as before. So the question remains.

Yes, it gives spheres - that is a consequence from Pythagoras. Maybe you have

SphericalPlot3D[Cos[\[Theta]]^2, {\[Theta], 0, \[Pi]}, {?, 0, 2 \[Pi]}]

in mind ?!? Regarding the second plot:

I would expect to get 2 hourglasses, one standing on the other along y-axis.

Whenever you plot something which is independent of \phi you get a rotational symmetric structure along the z axis.

Posted 8 years ago

I'm attaching a file showing what I have in mind. Maybe you can figure it out. According to the same paper it is the distance from origin that should vary as Cos[Theta]. Therefore I specified Cos[Theta] as first parameter in SphericalPlot3D, which according to Mathematica documentation shall be the radius function, which in this case is Cos[Theta]. I do not understand what I'm doing wrong. I have the same problem with PolarPlot when I remove the Phi-dimension. I get 2 circles instead of hourglass outline.

Yes, of course, any object not depending on Phi will be symmetric around axis (I call it y-axis, pointing up on your screen). 2 hourglasses standing on each other along y-axis is symmetrical. Hydrogen 2pz orbital Thanks/Mikael

Hi again Mikael,

I would qualify this hydrogen-2pz-orbital plot which you are referring to as somewhat misleading. The wave function is proportional to Y_(1,0), that is certainly true. But the according orbital - i.e. probability density - is proportional to |Y_(1,0)|^2. Therefore I was proposing Cos[\theta]^2. Nice presentations of spherical harmonics can be found e.g. on Wikipedia. There you can see those "two circles" as well.

Regards -- Henrik

Posted 8 years ago

Thanks Henrik, You are right, using Cos[Theta]^2 gives correct image for the example shown in my previous post. However for the following orbital, Cos[2 Theta], it does not even after squaring. It looks like we didn't find right formula yet. Hydrogen 3d orbital

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract