Message Boards Message Boards

Directed Graph Analysis of Elementary Cellular Automata

I recently had the pleasure of being accepted into the Wolfram Summer School and decided to conduct a qualitative analysis of the graphical properties of 1D elementary cellular automata to test and improve my WL skills a bit prior to the start of the program. I'm sure that similar analyses have already been conducted a multitude of times, but I thought it would be interesting to start a discussion and obtain some feedback. The general format of the code is rather straight forward:

Table[Image[
   GraphPlot[CellularAutomaton[r, {{1}, 0}, NumberOfSteps], 
    DirectedEdges -> True, Method -> "SomeGraphMethod", 
    PlotLabel -> r, ImageSize -> Medium]], {r, 0, 255}];

Running this on 10 iterations in directed graphs utilizing "CircularEmbedding" yields a pretty interesting collection of graphs, a snapshot of which is seen below:

An example output of directed graphs based on 10 iterations

By combining several variations of the above code with the ImageCollage function, we can produce eight collections of all possible graph methods on all possible 1D elementary cellular automata:

CASteps = 10;

CE = Table[Image[GraphPlot[CellularAutomaton[r, {{1}, 0}, CASteps], 
     DirectedEdges -> True, Method -> "CircularEmbedding", 
SprEE = Table[Image[GraphPlot[CellularAutomaton[r, {{1}, 0}, CASteps], 
     DirectedEdges -> True, Method -> "SpringElectricalEmbedding", 
SprE = Table[Image[GraphPlot[CellularAutomaton[r, {{1}, 0}, CASteps], 
     DirectedEdges -> True, Method -> "SpringEmbedding", 
RD = Table[Image[GraphPlot[CellularAutomaton[r, {{1}, 0}, CASteps], 
     DirectedEdges -> True, Method -> "RadialDrawing", 
LD = Table[Image[GraphPlot[CellularAutomaton[r, {{1}, 0}, CASteps], 
     DirectedEdges -> True, Method -> "LayeredDrawing", 
LDD = Table[Image[GraphPlot[CellularAutomaton[r, {{1}, 0}, CASteps], 
     DirectedEdges -> True, Method -> "LayeredDigraphDrawing", 
HDE = Table[Image[GraphPlot[CellularAutomaton[r, {{1}, 0}, CASteps], 
     DirectedEdges -> True, Method -> "HighDimensionalEmbedding", 
SpiE = Table[Image[GraphPlot[CellularAutomaton[r, {{1}, 0}, CASteps], 
     DirectedEdges -> True, Method -> "SpiralEmbedding", 

ImageCollages = Table[Show[ImageCollage[g[[1]], Method -> "Rows"], PlotLabel -> g[[2]], LabelStyle -> Bold], 
    {g, {{CE, "C I R C U L A R   E M B E D D I N G"}, {SprEE, "S P R I N G   E L E C T R I C A L   E M B E D D I N G"}, 
    {SprE, "S P R I N G   E M B E D D I N G"}, {RD, "R A D I A L   D R A W I N G"}, 
    {LD, "L A Y E R E D   D R A W I N G"}, {LDD, "L A Y E R E D   D I G R A P H   D R A W I N G"}, 
    {HDE, "H I G H   D I M E N S I O N A L   E M B E D D I N G"}, {SpiE, "S P I R A L   E M B E D D I N G"}}}];

The images produced were rather big so I decided to export and upload all of them into this Imgur album. I think it would be neat to see what kinds of neat things people are able to deduce from the images. I will continue to analyze the produced graphs and post any findings as a reply to this thread. This is my first post to the Wolfram Community, and hopefully the first of many more to come!

POSTED BY: Harrison Totty

A very nice start, @Harrison Totty, Welcome to the Community ! I have two questions:

• Why are you wrapping Image[GraphPlot[...]] ? It seems to me that just GraphPlot[...] is much faster because no time is spent on rasterizing Graphics into an Image.

• GraphPlot[m] generates a plot of the graph represented by the adjacency matrix m. But adjacency matrix should be square, and a CellularAutomaton can generate non-square matrices. You can see it is true from code error messages:

AdjacencyGraph[CellularAutomaton[54, {{1}, 0}, 4]]

So then what does GraphPlot[CellularAutomaton[...]] represents in general non-square matrix case?

POSTED BY: Sam Carrettie
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract