Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
21 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Can't scroll down in a notebook. How do I fix it?

Posted 8 years ago

Help!

I can't scroll in my attached math notes.

Best,

Dean Sparrow, 10.1

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Dean Sparrow
21 Replies

I copied it to a blank notebook and laboriously revised the the styles. And viola~

Attachments:
Posted 8 years ago

I am just curious: How did you fix it?

POSTED BY: Hans Milton

Fixed.

Why Mathematica? This document is ripe with in line equations.

And technical support found this bug.

I am attempting to fix the issue.

Well, that's tempting!

But let me go back to my original question: if you basically have just a list of topics, why do you want to use a Mathematica notebook to write down the list? There is nothing in it (or am I wrong?) which suggests the need for the functionality of Mathematica (which, I agree, is as good a text processor as any other, or even better).

I see just a list of text cells (even if they are chapters or sections or whatever), and you want to add subtopics or, at most, the statements of theorems, again, in the form of text cells. For example, your attachment Fermat and Euler.nb is, again, has only a text cell, and nothing that suggests that there is an input cell with live examples or such kind of things. (I'm just trying to understand what is it that you want to achieve). Perhaps you could throw some light on the matter so that I could be more useful to you.

POSTED BY: Tomas Garza

I built the notebook from scratch with chapters, etc. And yeah, I need to insert those two theorems.

Fix it and I'll name my first child after you!

Attachments:

Going back to square one, as far as I can see your notebook is essentially a list of topics, organized in cells of various styles. But, for example, if I look at topic "Foundations", the big cell associated with it doesn't have a format style, like Chapter, Subchapter, Section, etc. Select the big bracket, second from right, which starts with Foundations. Then click Format|Style and you'll see that there is no style checked in the list. This I don't understand.

Now, when you say in your last post that you just had to add Fermat's Little Theorem and Euler's Generalization, I don't know what you mean: the two titles are there, with nothing inside them, as the rest of the cells. Do you mean you were about to add content to those cells?

The worst thing is that I was almost done; I had to add Fermat's Little Theorem and Euler's Generalization. Then this Medusa froze me!

Thanks, but that actually made it worse. Now I can't scroll with all chapters closed!

The technical support said, "I have looked into your notebook and I was able to reproduce the behavior you described on my Windows machine. As such I have filed a report with the appropriate development team so that they may further review the misbehavior.

You should be able to workaround this behavior by actively closing more cell sub-groups. For example, if every group in the notebook was opened, I was able to reliably reproduce the scrolling issue with your Applied Mathematics section. If I closed the subsections within it (Differential Equations, Integro-Differential Equations, ..., Mathematica Models), the notebook scrolled as one would expect.

When the scrolling issues did present themselves, I was able to workaround the issue by manually dragging the slider on the scrollbar. This seemed to be the only thing that worked in this situation.

We are always interested in improving Mathematica, and I'd like to thank you once more for bringing this issue to our attention. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further issues you may come across."

Geez, things get messier all the time. Now that technical support is aware of the problem, let's hope they will throw some light on the situation.

Posted 8 years ago

When in Option Inspector look at the small window at the top (where it says selection) and select the notebook's name ( in this case "mathematics.nb"|, Then Choose the WindowProperties|WindowSize and simply overwrite 1920, 1080 and type enter. This should work OK. The rest of the riddle is still alive, by what I can infer.

POSTED BY: Updating Name

A riddle wrapped in an enigma to be sure! I have Windows 7 professional, 64 bit.

Thanks for the suggestion. The Window Size = {Automatic, Automatic}.

Not to sound ignorant, how to do I set it to {1920, 1080}? I selected the entire notebook and typed that size, but nothing happened!

on 10.1 and I can scroll. screen res 1600*900 windows windows 7 enterprise sp1

POSTED BY: l van Veen

It baffles me, too.

There are two ways to adjust window length: manually, place your cursor at the bottom of the notebook window until a double-headed arrow appears. Then just drag it down to the desired length.

Otherwise, use the OptionInspector in the Menu bar. Select Format|OptionInspector Make sure to select the notebook in the upper left corner. Then go to NotebookOptions|Windows Properties|Window Size and type something like {1160, 950} instead of the default value. This will give a decent sized window for your notebook, and it will stay there permanently (i.e., until you change it.)

Your suggestions:

1. As I mentioned, this is the only notebook that I can't scroll in.

2. Adding an input cell has no effect.

3. How do I set the page length?

4. The scroll settings look okay.

I even tried a "clean start" - no go!

Only this notebook is screwy. I will try your suggestions .Thanks.

Odd, indeed, since you're dealing with an ordinary Mathematica notebook. Some ideas:.

-Do you have the same problem with other Mathematica notebooks?

-All of your cells contain only text. Try introducing some input in any of them, and see what happens.

-Change the length of the window either directly by hand or using the Option Inspector

-Check your options in the Format|Option Inspector|Notebook Options|Window Properties|Scrolling Options to see if there is something which might indicate the source of the problem

Posted 8 years ago

This is really strange. I am unable to scroll as well in 10.4. But with the Number Theory cells minimized, I can scroll again.

If I expand General cell, things are scrollable. But expanding the Foundations cell, it gets stuck :S

POSTED BY: Wilson Kan

Thanks, I study make math and physics at the Open University.

Odd. I can't say the same thing. I can't even use the page up or down!

I am nonplussed.

Is this just a list of topics? (Very nice, by the way)

I had no problem in scrolling through it using the mouse...

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract