Message Boards Message Boards

[WSS16] Density matrix modeling of n-level quantum mechanical systems

Posted 8 years ago

Since the concept of Rabi flopping emerged in the first half of the 20th century, two-level quantum mechanical systems have been accurately explained using an atom as a "mixed state" between both levels. An incoming oscillating light field at a resonant frequency causes the population in either energy level, or "state", to oscillate between each other at a so-called Rabi frequency.

However, not all two-level transitions are the same, as some transitions are extremely strong (or probable) while others are much weaker (improbable). This means that if one is interested in exploring a "forbidden" transition between initial state i and final state j, one must first find the alternate pathways (other than going directly from i to j) going through intermediate states k,m.. etc. For my project, I am using a sample optical pathway for krypton between its ground state and its first metastable state (1->3->10->2), chosen from the equivalent optical pathways below.

Here we see the first 7 allowed transition pathways of the otherwise forbidden transition between ground level (1) and the metastable level (2)

Once these alternate pathways are identified, it is important to compare the efficiency of population transfer for equivalent pathways. Using density matrix formulation, these n-level quantum mechanical pathways can be modeled with coupled linear differential equations based on optical and atomic input parameters.

Time-evolution of metastable state population - assuming all atoms begin at the ground level - as a function of input parameters.

My results show that the efficiency of transitions depends strongly upon laser intensity, resonance detuning, and collision rate. The image below shows the result of a global sensitivity analysis which shows the sensitivity indices of the parameters of my model.

Here we see that Rabi frequency - linked to laser intensity, and resonance detuning are major factors in determining the population dynamics of energy level transitions.

Further results are bound by dissemination restrictions, so if you are interested in finding out more please contact me at milad.aboudakka@adelaide.edu.au.

POSTED BY: Milad Dakka
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract