Message Boards Message Boards

Wolfram Language graphics commands on a Raspberry Pi/Pi-top?

I am starting to learn Mathematica and Wolfram on a Raspberry Pi 3 with is the CPU for my Pi-top. Wolfram and Mathematica were supplied with the Pi-top operating system.

I am executing both from the console. The graphics commands, such as ListPlot, work very well when running Mathematica. When invoked in Wolfram they return -Graphics-.

How do I get them to work in both cases?

Carl

POSTED BY: Carl W. Entemann
9 Replies

That's the result one would get if the factorial[1]=1; part of the definition were skipped.

POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski

Not sure what is going wrong because the post doesn't seem to show the entire definition, but try something like

In[1]:= Clear[factorial];
        factorial[1] = 1;
        factorial[n_Integer /; n > 1] := factorial[n - 1]*n

In[4]:= factorial[10]

Out[4]= 3628800

In[5]:= % == Factorial[10]

Out[5]= True

EDIT

Now I can see your post with a different browser -- the pattern head should just have been Integer instead of integer.

Ilian:

Once again I am thanking you. You function definition gives the correct answer in Wolfram.

In Mathematica the result generated by factorial[10] using your definition is: 3628800 factorial[1]

Any reason for this?

Thanks again.

Carl

Moving on to functions, I defined the factorial function as:

factorial[1]=1;factorial[n_integer]:=n*factorial[n-1]

factorial[1] returns 1, as it should.

factorial[10] returns factorial[10]

I have tried both Wolfram and Mathematica and have tried the alternative definition using If. Same result.

What am I doing wrong or what is wrong?

Carl

Red evaluates to RGBColor[1, 0, 0] -- that is the actual expression representing the color, which is used in all subsequent computations.

When using the notebook interface (the Mathematica frontend), the StandardForm of an RGBColor expression is being typeset or formatted to look like a small colored square, which can also be clicked on to start a dynamic color-picking interface.

This typesetting is not available when using the standalone kernel (wolfram), with e.g. JavaGraphics`, nevertheless the color can be visualized by doing something like

Show[Graphics[{Blend[{Yellow, Pink, Green}], Rectangle[]}]]

The question seems to be about a standalone kernel in a terminal, so the support article does not apply (also the Edit -> Preferences menu does not exist on the Raspberry Pi), but see this for some ideas.

Ilian:

<<JavaGraphics` does the job very nicely. I am thanking you.

Carl

Ilian:

Now that I have ListPlot working I am trying the colors.

If I type Red I get RGBColor[1,0,0]

If i type Blend[{Yellow, pink, Green}] I get RGBColor[2/3, 0.833333, 0.166667]

I executed <<JavaGraphics` before all of these.

Can you help me with this problem?

Carl

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract