|
2 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Sharing a notebook with inhibited edit?

Posted 8 years ago

I want to share a notebook with a group of students, in such a way that they can interact with it, but it can´t be saved. Each user should make a copy in case he wants to save his work, but the original must be kept without changes. (For example, the way the online help works allows one to interact and try things, but the changes will not affect the original). Using the option saveable->False in the Option Inspector won't do, since it can be changed by the user in an active session. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

POSTED BY: Tomas Garza
2 Replies

Well, I guess there is no practical way to deal with the problem.

Thanks anyway, David

POSTED BY: Tomas Garza

If your requirement is that the user cannot change the notebook options which implement what you need, then I think that the general answer is that it cannot be done. But, that said, there are all sorts of ways to implement a way to either make the notebook not savable (as you suggest) or to have something that can reset the notebook back to its original state as desired. E.G. have a button in a docked cell that has the contents of the notebook in it (which of course doubles the Byte size of the notebook) and which, when clicked on, deletes the contents of the notebook and writes the original material back. Not a terribly good idea, but you get the drift

If you look at the Documentation Center notebooks directly you can see that they in fact have the option setting

Saveable -> False
POSTED BY: David Reiss
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract