Message Boards Message Boards

Get Mathematica on OS X to use the system audio output setting?

Posted 8 years ago
POSTED BY: Mike Goss
4 Replies
Posted 8 years ago

Rouge Amoeba's ( https://rogueamoeba.com/freebies/soundflower/ ) free Soundflower might do it, it has been a couple years since I used it.. Their not free Loopback software extension will definitely allow you to redirect Mathematica audio outside at the system level. I guess Mathematica does not follow MacOS's 'rules' because it needs to run on other platforms in a common way. Some of the far more experienced folks here may know of a way to do a 'within Mathematica' global redirection, all the information seems to be available.

POSTED BY: David Proffer

Thanks, that does seem to work but doesn't really solve the problem, since it requires changing all audio output cells every time I connect to a different device (this is on a laptop that I sometimes use in my office or on the bus or train with the laptop speakers or headphones, and sometimes in a classroom with HDMI). If I set it to "HDMI" and then try to use it without an HDMI device connected, I get an error until I change the setting.

What I'd really like to find is an option to just use the default OS X output device like every other application. Ideally $DefaultAudioOutputDevice would follow the OS X system settings, and not default to the built-in output (internal speakers for a Mac Book Pro).

Posted 8 years ago
POSTED BY: David Proffer
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract