|
8 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Frustrated father writes computer-based algebra book

Posted 8 years ago

Hi. I am a father infinitely frustrated with algebra, as it is taught in our schools. I just can't believe computers aren't used more, even at the level of Algebra I.

I channeled my frustration and wrote a (free online) book about learning algebra by writing simple code. If anyone wants to take a look at it, please try a few lessons and let me know what you think. Here it is: http://www.codebymath.com/index.php/welcome/book

Thanks, Tom

POSTED BY: Tom Benson
8 Replies

Hello Tom:

I only read the first 2 chapters. I know well and respect your motivation. But…

“one cent” - Don’t we fear that the young kids will only be able to differentiate a polynomial using a machine? I have been known to worry that today’s young pilots can only fly the plane in auto-pilot mode (i.e. Buffalo incident some years back). Using a DSL* may not allow landing the plane safely in all conditions.

“one cent” - You very quickly cover loops and conditionals. Dr. Wolfram specifically asserts that this is not the place to start. In my mind there is some tension between these approaches, because I think of Cases[] as a loop and conditional. But I am still learning what functional is.

Anyways, thanks for trying to be part of the solution.

DSL: domain-specific language

POSTED BY: Aeyoss Antelope
Posted 8 years ago

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

On your first point about using machine derivatives. I get what you're saying and I hear you on the autopilot (I think that one has even crept into the Boeing vs. Airbus debate.) I'm just not sure what's better....rote derivatives by hand as "the lesson" or computer-based derivatives, with some other goal (graphing f vs f' perhaps?) as "the lesson." Long long term, the computer derivatives might be all they need. Again, I just don't know...

I am familiar with Dr. Wolfram's position on this...I read his blog and quite like his book "An elementary intro to wolfram language," but conditionals and loop are MY FAVORITE thing to put in front of beginners. To me they're the first step into programming and getting kids to see what a machine can do: make decisions and do something over and over again.

Yeah, and on your DSL comment: Lua is so vanilla, I think lessons learned in it are easily translated into other languages.

I like the style of the course. Why did you use python only and post it on the wolfram community or did I miss something?

POSTED BY: l van Veen
Posted 8 years ago

Hi..no you didn't miss anything. I visit here from time to time and noted that it's a good place for a discussion on using computers in math/science education. I used Mathematica almost daily, but still like the idea of using some BASIC-language-style instructional materials.

There seems to be bias in the academic community against the use of computer algebra. I've been criticized for using Mathematica by professors teaching online courses in quantum mechanics, who seem to feel you aren't really solving the problem unless you do it all with paper and pencil.

POSTED BY: Frank Kampas
Posted 8 years ago

I actually found that students are the same way. They have such a strong expectation that all math/science learning be done with pencil and paper, that they can be greatly dismayed and outright irritated with computer assignments,

I second this observation. The push back from students when implementing flipped classroom assignments, cooperative learning activities, or even just plain active learning pauses during lecture is sometimes extreme and disruptive. My opinion is that this is a consequence of the entitlement philosophy many students have now internalized as well as the troubling trend of grade inflation (at least here in the US). I explained to all of my students that failure is a critical part of the learning process, and it is better for them to struggle and fail and reassess their progress during lecture and on homework assignments then it is to fail an exam or later at their job ...

More back to this topic, over the past two years, I have given students assignments where they needed to use a variety of engineering software: Wolfram Programming Lab, MATLAB/Simulink, COMSOL, Pro/II, Bluehill, BioPAC, WaveForms, and the Arduino IDE. I have found student acceptance to be mixed but slanted more to positive. I think that once they have reached the 200-300 level engineering courses, they realize that pen and paper is holding them back from a deeper understanding of the topic. Unfortunately, a new negative pops up once the students accept that they need to start using the computer (and associated data collection hardware for labs), they now want a complete template, algorithm, or step-by-step instructions for using the software to solve their problem or they want to be able to find these easily on the first page of a google search. Right back to the entitlement philosophy ...

POSTED BY: Timothy Ewing
Posted 8 years ago
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract