Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
8 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Avoid "Cobra object file does not exist" error while opening SystemModeler?

Everytime I open system modeler get this annoying error

CORBA object file does not exist.

/var/folders/fl/ph4qpd7d4t3272ktrb9737_h0000gp/T/wsm.jecalderon1.objid.SystemModeler.4.3.0

I am using a Mac PRO with

POSTED BY: Jose Calderon
8 Replies

Otto, The manual activation of the kernel generates the right file name in my case too.

In addition I work with a Windows version on the MAC (using Parallel) which now can start using the same "trick" - I looked for the equivalent .exe file on the virtual windows system.

I wonder if there is something I can do not to manually activate the kernel via the terminal (in both cases) Sincerely

yehuda

I am using latest Sierra. This error happens occasionally and then drops. I am not able to isolate where exactly this happens.

POSTED BY: Jose Calderon

I also work with Sierra and a mac PRO

I had a very similar bug, but for me it happened that WSM put a wrong file name in the temporary folder. When I manually enter to this directory and rename it, I can activate WSM, but it should be soon enough afterwards.

The answer I got from the tech support was far from being satisfactory in this case. They came for file permissions or installation by and admin etc. Nothing worked but this simple "trick".

In addition, versions 4.2 and 4.1 work with no problem at all.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by the wrong file name? Exactly what file did it create and what file did it expect to find?

POSTED BY: Otto Tronarp

my username on the MAC is yehudaben-shimol and WSM expects enter image description here

However, when I manually get into the folder /var/folders/pr/vj50v98d2vv5c3n6qdsqprp80000gr/T I notice a different file name: the "-" sign in my name (without quotes) is replaced by a "+" sign (again without quotes).

wsm.yehudaben+shimol.objid.SystemModeler.4.3.0

I turn off WSM, rename (or copy) to a file with the "-" sign replacing the "+" sign and activate again then WSM works fine.

As I write this, I notice that the Corba and lock files from the virtual windows machine are generated in the same directory.

Maybe this is the reason that I experience problems?

best

yehuda

Thank you, I can now reproduce this. The problem is that the "-" in the username is transformed into a "+" somewhere along the line so ModelCenter fails to find the SystemModeler kernel that it starts. I'll make sure that this is fixed for the next release.

In the mean time, short of changing your username which I assume you don't want to do (I know I wouldn't) you could perhaps use a script to start SystemModeler, something like this:

#! /bin/bash
/Applications/SystemModeler.app/Contents/MacOS/WSMKernelX +d=interactiveCorba &
/Applications/SystemModeler.app/Contents/MacOS/ModelCenter &

Hi Otto,

Thanks again, first for the acknowledgement that there is such a problem (the tech support claimed that this is because I installed WSM with admin rights, but although I knew they are wrong, I tried their directions with no luck).

On another issue, WSM is a great tool, but students here complain that "there are not enough references on the WEB on WSM" - they are used to Google for tutorials and helping material on the WEB, and I admit that their difficulties are true. I hope that some more tutorials at the basic level will be added in the future. Perhaps focusing each time on one specific domain will meet their needs. Most of the students that do not have background in mechatronics do not really need multi-domain (e.g., the combination of electrical and mechanical devices) since the need of the curricula is more strict. In my example I use WSM for let them simulate analog communication systems (mainly blocks of analog operations on signals + some basic electrical circuits). I also plan (with another lecturer in another course) to let them experience other systems, but again, no multi domain is involved.

best

yehuda

I think the most likely cause for that is that the SystemModeler kernel fails to start. Have you never been able to start SystemModler successfully or is this something that only recently started to fail?

What version of OS X/macOS are you running?

You could try to start the kernel manually by running the following in a terminal (adapt the path to your installation directory):

/Applications/SystemModeler.app/Contents/MacOS/WSMKernelX +d=interactiveCorba

If everything is working you should get something like

Using the Challenger kernel!!!
Created server
Dumped Corba IOR in file: /var/folders/z9/0c9lm3rn25s_bht528grdm740000gp/T/wsm.username.objid.SystemModeler.4.3.0
Started the Corba ORB thread with id: 0x7000002a0000
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract