|
|
10 Replies
|
10 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

How suitable is Mathematica for a Space Elevator simulation

A group of us at the International Space Elevator Consortium (ISEC) are designing a comprehensive simulation suite for the space elevator. We are trying to select a software base, and Mathematica is one of the choices. The spreadsheet shows several others. I have been using Mathematica for a few months and have filled in my scores on a scale of 1 to 10 against a list of features that we need. 1 means a lot of work is needed; 10 means it’s all there already. We would really like other users or Mathematica staff to put their own opinions in a copy of the spreadsheet. It’s OK to write in brief verbal comments or references rather than just numbers if that helps.

Attachments:
POSTED BY: John Knapman
10 Replies

I think a Skype call would be a good idea. Our team will talk about this later today (Tuesday) and I'll get back to you. Thank you.

Hi John, i believe that SystemModeler together with Mathematica will be able to target many of your problems better than the list reflects. However, it is hard to say as it might depend on the interpretation of each headline. If you like we can setup a phone meeting to better understand your requirements and give you more accurate answers.

POSTED BY: Jan Brugard

I am embarrassed to admit that you are right. I misread the instructions. Here is the corrected version where 1 is best.

Attachments:

OK I have updated the score from 1 to 8 on testing quality assurance. I take the point about version control; we should have that in there. I will keep you updated on our decision-making progress. The team has a Skype call on Tuesday. They will see your comments and advice. Thanks.

Posted 7 years ago

Isn't 1 better than 8 in this spreadsheet?

POSTED BY: John Stewart
Posted 7 years ago

John, One thing to think about, at least when it comes to SystemModeler, is that it is using the open modeling language Modelica. This makes it possible to share models with other modeling software, version control models(something I really think is lacking from your spreadsheet, BTW) and much more. SystemModeler also supports FMI, so you can export the simulation, or parts of it, to a wide variety of tools. Wolfram has a very capable testing and quality assurance team, and many of the tools used by this team is included into the software, such as the function VerificationTest. Just saying that I think it deserves a much higher rating than 1/10.

POSTED BY: Johan Rhodin

Many thanks for the advice. I will talk it over with colleagues.

John,

you should also consider budgeting in some hours from Wolfram services. WSM and Mathematica are so powerful that they have considerable learning curves. It is hard to know "best practices" without using both together. Most things can be done in either program but there is often a best way to do it. A few hours with someone who can help you get your problem launched in the right direction goes a long way. (For example, if you want to do animations later on it is best to start out with that in mind).

Additionally, I have found the support on the SystemModeler forum (in this community) is very strong and usually quicker than the premium support.

I would be interested in what you ultimately pick. If you want to talk to an actual user (who also uses MATLAB, SIMULINK and others), Please feel free to contact me outside of this forum.

Regards

POSTED BY: Neil Singer

I've started to look at it, thanks. It looks very impressive.

We do similar types of modeling. You should evaluate wolfram SystemModeler (WSM) connected to Mathematica. This combination fixes many of the shortcomings of Mathematica alone. You can do equation derivation in Mathematica and simulate dynamics in WSM. Furthermore you can rely on existing models and components in WSM. WSM also gives you animations with little extra effort. It is the right combination for your project. I think the WSM team can give you more information.

POSTED BY: Neil Singer
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract