Message Boards Message Boards

Measuring public interest in Syria and Ukraine from Wikipedia data

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Vitaliy Kaurov
6 Replies

Wow that's Huge. Thanks for the studies, that's why i love Data Science.

POSTED BY: Chrisss Tinerd

enter image description here - another post of yours has been selected for the Staff Picks group, congratulations! We are happy to see you at the top of the "Featured Contributor" board. Thank you for your wonderful contributions, and please keep them coming!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

Vitaliy, nice, but I don't really understand the alpha call:

WolframAlpha["ukraine syria", {{"PopularityPod:WikipediaStatsData", 1}, "ComputableData"}]

Is there documentation for this? what other sources are available but "Wikepediastatsdata"? In other words, how do I conduct my own research on some topic. Thanks.

POSTED BY: Kay Herbert

Thanks, Kay. That call constructed automatically, you do not need to know the syntax. It is explained how to get it in:

Generally you can always check

WolframAlpha["Einstein", "DataRules"]

to see what computable data are available. While page hits are not yet available, still take a look also at other data at WikipediaData.

really informative analysis.

can you detect a bias in coverage among your sources?

POSTED BY: Peter Barendse

Interesting question. If I understand right what you mean, then probably visits' data on foreign (especially native to conflict zones) language Wikipedia pages and relative comparison with English page would show the difference. But how much of that is bias versus noise is a harder question. Do you have any ideas of bias detection? - It'd be interesting to try.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract