Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
8 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Find subset of strings with hamming weight n?

Posted 8 years ago

I am new to the language, I'm sure this question will sound very easy to most of you!

I would like to have a program which takes a set of strings and returns the subset of those strings with hamming weight n. I tried to do it like this:

Spaceweight[dim2_, n] := Module[{listi, weight, listinew},
  listinew = {};
  listi = SpaceF[dim2];
  For[cc = 1 <= Length[listi], cc++,
   If[DigitCount[listi, 2, 1] = n, listinew = Append[listinew, listi]];
   Return[listinew]];
  ]

but it doesn't even pretend to work. How would you go about doing this?

Thanks, Mary

POSTED BY: Mary Shepard
8 Replies

Mary,

I think the confusion is that Mathematica "strings" involve text strings as Sander demonstrated. I believe that your "strings" are lists of binary digits (and not Mathematica strings). If this is correct, This should work for you:

In[2]:= list = Range[15]
Out[2]= {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15}

IntegerDigits converts my list of numbers to 4 digit binary "Strings" in Mathematica -- these are lists of digits

In[3]:= mylist = Map[IntegerDigits[#,2,4]&,list]
Out[3]= {{0,0,0,1},{0,0,1,0},{0,0,1,1},{0,1,0,0},{0,1,0,1},{0,1,1,0},{0,1,1,1},{1,0,0,0},{1,0,0,1},{1,0,1,0},{1,0,1,1},{1,1,0,0},{1,1,0,1},{1,1,1,0},{1,1,1,1}}

Make a function that picks out the lists with a certain number of 1's

In[5]:= SelectHamming[str_List,n_Integer]:=Select[str,Count[#,1]==n&]
In[6]:= SelectHamming[mylist,2]
Out[6]= {{0,0,1,1},{0,1,0,1},{0,1,1,0},{1,0,0,1},{1,0,1,0},{1,1,0,0}}

I hope this helps

POSTED BY: Neil Singer
Posted 8 years ago

THANK YOU SO MUCH. This works perfectly!

Mary

Posted 8 years ago

The correct interpretation was

SelectHamming

I am very grateful for your help, I didn't think of simply counting the 1's, I was stuck trying to make it work with the HammingDistance since that is what I found when looking for "hamming weight". The bulk of the workaround (generating a list of 0's of length 2^(2^n) and calculating the hamming distance to that) meant that I ran out of memory already with functions on 6 variables (strings of length 32) Beginners mistake!

I am working on bent functions, (maximally nonlinear boolean functions) and it gets unwieldy pretty fast. I narrowed down the list where interesting functions lived with a little program called spaceF, and I needed to feed subsets of that space with hamming weight n into another program.

Mary

what is SpaceF? Could you give an example of a minimal input, and the output it should have? If I understood your problem correctly, I would do something like:

listofstrings={"hello","test","apple","banana","world","soap"}
SelectHammingWeight[lst_List,char_String,n_Integer]:=Select[lst,StringCount[#,char]==n&]
SelectHammingWeight[listofstrings,"a",1]

that would output strings which have 1 "a" in it.

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman
Posted 8 years ago

Thanks, but I still can't tweak it to work with my input.

SpaceF takes an integer and returns a list of binary strings like say [{0,0,1,1}, {0,1,1,1},{1,0,0,0}]. What I really want is a program which works with SpaceF so that I can generate a sublist of all entries with hamming weight n.

Mary

It would be good to add an input and an expected output, your description is not entirely clear now...

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman

Or, may be this is the solution:

listofstrings = {"hello", "test", "apple", "banana", "world", "soap", "man", "an", "Hamming", "dodecahedron", "Wolfram Community",  "Wolfram Language", "Paintings"};
SelectHammingWeight[x_List, z_String, n_Integer] := Select[StringJoin /@ StringSplit[x, z], StringLength[#] == n &]
Manipulate[SelectHammingWeight[listofstrings, "a", n], {n, 1, 16, 1}]

Mary,

What was the correct interpretation of your problem? Are your hamming strings lists of binary digits or character strings? Curious as to which approach you are using...

POSTED BY: Neil Singer
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract