Message Boards Message Boards

Where Is the Center of the US?

Posted 8 years ago
Attachments:
7 Replies

enter image description here - you have earned "Featured Contributor" badge, congratulations!

This is a great post and it has been selected for the curated Staff Picks group. Your profile is now distinguished by a "Featured Contributor" badge.

POSTED BY: EDITORIAL BOARD

Very nice analysis! How do these points compare to the 'core' of the country; the point furthest away from the boundary:

rawpolygon=Polygon/@Map[Reverse,Entity["Country","UnitedStates"]["Polygon"][[1,1]],{2}];
rawpolygon=First@TakeLargestBy[rawpolygon,Area,1]; (* main land *)
r=DiscretizeGraphics[rawpolygon];

srdf=SignedRegionDistance[r];
pts=RandomPoint[r,750];   (* get some random points inside this region *)

sols=Quiet[FindMinimum[srdf[{x,y}],{x,#[[1]]},{y,#[[2]]}]]&/@pts;  (* minimize the distance function starting from various points *)
sols={#1,{x,y}/.#2}&@@@sols; 
min=First[TakeSmallestBy[sols,First,1]] (* get the one that is furthest away *)

Show[{r,Graphics[Point[min[[2]]]]}]

Giving:

{-9.88794, {-98.1595, 39.1123}}

enter image description here

One could be even more elaborate by using GeoDistance such as to correct for the elliptical shape of the earth...

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman

That's a very nifty way of finding that point! I was unaware of the name of this point, interesting name. Somehow I missed it on this page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_extreme_points_of_the_United_States

Thanks for sharing.

Nice Job!

I like your approach, However we all know that the center of the entire world is in New York City: (spoken like a true New Yorker!)

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Neil Singer

After Amsterdam, your New Amsterdam makes a good second ;)

(I'm just holding onto this first reply for if I get the chance to calculate these for all 50 states as opposed to just the conterminous states.)

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract