Message Boards Message Boards

Goodbye to the CDF plugin for web browsers?

Posted 7 years ago
POSTED BY: Javier Puertolas
7 Replies
  • OSX> High Sierra 10.13.6, Safari >Version 11.1.2 (13605.3.8)
  • MacBookPro i7
  • Mathematica v11.3 and CDF Player
  • CDF Player is non functional.
  • It seems that I purchased another Mathematica upgrade and installed a bunch of nonfunctional CDF code.
  • The Demonstration Projects are totally busted. Just a bunch of hyperlinks looping back to the CDF installer.
  • My normal Browser access to Demonstrations is now disappointedly diminished. enter image description here
POSTED BY: Ej Armstrong

Actually if we have anything embeddable in a GTK or QT Widget or even an ActiveX the job is more than half done. Community can create an webkit based browser that can play CDF.

POSTED BY: Neel Basu

Could you elaborate? Some references, links, examples with other systems, general design?

POSTED BY: Kapio Letto
POSTED BY: Neel Basu

If you allow me, let me just set the bar a little higher ;-) by posting a link to a website that kind of shows the trend of current web technology. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have the Dynamics of some of those examples?

http://students.brown.edu/seeing-theory/

POSTED BY: Pedro Fonseca

Thank for sharing that great link. I guess that for Mathematica to do that, in the browser, with no plug-ins, it would need to be re-implemented on top of JavaScript, and that is just too big of a task.

POSTED BY: Gustavo Delfino

Who knows... eventually with a path from LLVM to webassembly... or something similar...

If it already runs on the iPad, doesn't that mean that "all" dependencies on "strange" libraries were "resolved"? If so, the sky is the limit!

(hope should never die)

PS - here that no one is listening, it is the "WL" that we want to run on the browser... not "Mathematica" ;-)

POSTED BY: Pedro Fonseca
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract