Message Boards Message Boards

Computational Lichtenberg Figures

enter image description here

POSTED BY: Henrik Schachner
10 Replies

Very very neat! Thanks for sharing! If I understood correctly: is the front of the white lines equidistant from the starting point?

Now the distance between the lines are set by the mesh-size, how does it work in reality? I presume current is flowing 'everywhere' and due to irregularities in the material or by the geometry you get local maxima of current causing it to heat up and burn the material. I don't see easily what the length-scale is in reality; any thoughts?

POSTED BY: Sander Huisman

Dear Sander,

thanks for your reply! Well, the animation above was not meant to represent a physical simulation. And in the attached notebook I am calling it "Lichtenberg like figures" - maybe I should have made that point more clear in my post. The white lines shown at a time have the same number of vertexes in common. But I understand the general formation of these figures that the electrons take the shortest path re-using already existing paths from the electrons before. Therefore I made this approach. Another point in question is of course the kind of distribution of the electrons in the material ...

Best regards -- Henrik

enter image description here - Congratulations! This post is now a Staff Pick! Thank you for your wonderful contributions. Please, keep them coming!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team

Wow very nice !! upvoted. will definitely look at your notebook :)

POSTED BY: Ali Hashmi
Posted 7 years ago

Could I know how to creat a such blue line in front-end? Mathematica graphics

I also don't know how to create such gray line in official documentation

Mathematica graphics

POSTED BY: Yode Japhe

Not using Random Walks to create Brownian Trees?

Aww...

POSTED BY: Michael Gmirkin

Hi Yode,

you can create such a blue line inside notebooks simply by placing you mouse over a "new line" (when you see that + at the beginning), and then by making a right click:

enter image description here

I regard this as a nice feature and use it quite often. I have no idea about those gray lines ...

Regards -- Henrik

Posted 3 years ago

Hello Henrik, I need to create a similar Lichtenberg result as an animation in a mobile software App (to help people imagine neural networks forming from repeated experiences), do you have any suggestions on how I can find a person who can work in Mathematica and advise my software team a litte?

POSTED BY: Carl Dietz

Hello Carl,

thank you for your interest in my little playing around! As a start you of course can use the respective notebook I supplied. Just let it run and you get all these figures. (I do not have any experience with mobile apps.)

Regards -- Henrik

Posted 3 years ago

I want to say your post inspired me. I'm going to figure out a way to do the whole thing in Javascript.

POSTED BY: Carl Dietz
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract