|
2 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Get AircraftData Data?

Posted 7 years ago

I want to know why some Data like the ChemicalData once downloaded, the first time you use them, you can work the next time even offline using this Data, I think Mathematica is storing the downloaded Data in a persistent manner, but when I worked with the AircraftData or AirplaneData and many others, it wasn't the case. On the contrary, Mathematica was obliged to download the same Data I worked the last time with again and again, it was a little bit annoying, I can't understand why Mathematica is not storing the Data in this cases? The same issue concerning the Data when I use the Entity functions, every time Mathematica is asking me to download the same Data again and again? ..Why?

POSTED BY: Megri Youcef
2 Replies

I have encountered similar behavior. I have never seen any documentation describing this behavior.

Also you can only tell what is going on based on a popup that is dismissed at the end of the operation.

Non-empirically I have found some XXXData functions cache their data, others even download the data more than once in a single invocation.

I think it is also related to the fact that some of the data is hosted in WolframAlpha.

So until this behavior is rationalized across data stores, we can only guess how it works.

POSTED BY: Aeyoss Antelope

You should very specific and give your code, timings, facts. It is obviously cacheing for me:

Exit
sample = AircraftData["SampleEntities"];

First[AbsoluteTiming[AircraftData[sample, "Manufacturer"]]]
(*0.845078`*)

(*0.001413`*)

Exit
sample = AircraftData["SampleEntities"];
(*0.006283`*)

$Version
(*"11.1.0 for Mac OS X x86 (64-bit) (March 13, 2017)"*)
POSTED BY: Sam Carrettie
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract