|
|
1 Reply
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

How to set coordinate systems for vector analysis in Mathematica 9.0.1?

Posted 11 years ago
The Mathematica documentation states that vector analysis "functionality" is now built into Mathematica, and trying to load the VectorAnalysis` package produces ominous messages about conflicts with standard Mathematica things.  However, functions like CoordinateSystem[] and SetCoordinates[], are missing.

It appears I can set coordinates within Div[] and Grad[], for example, but it is awkward to do this repeatedly.

Is there any way to set the working coordinate system in v. 9?

I did try to search for relevant terms in the list, but hopefully I've not missed obvious previous discussions on this.
POSTED BY: Richard Gibson
Please see this guide in the documentation on upgrading from the VectorAnalysis package to the built in functionality:
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/Compatibility/tutorial/VectorAnalysis.html
From the link:

"First, there is no notion of the default coordinate system in the native implementation. In any function where the coordinate system name or variables are needed, they must be specified explicitly."

Instead of relying on a globally set value, the functions take in an additional argument which is the coordinate system for the calculations.
POSTED BY: Sean Clarke
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract