|
25 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Metaprogramming in Wolfram Language

POSTED BY: Leonid Shifrin
9 Replies
Posted 1 year ago

I stumbled across this excellent post while searching the following website for a roll-your-own implementation of Lisp in Mathematica:

Make A Lisp

Quite to my surprise, the Wolfram Language was nowhere to be found on the list.

POSTED BY: Mma Usr

As far as I know, there is no difference between the commercial and other versions in terms of the functionality, the only difference is the licensing.

If you have version 12, both the new compiler and the Database Integration project are parts of it. Finding where they are located is not hard. For example, for Database Integration:

<< Databases`
Lookup[PacletInformation["Databases"], "Location"]

However, both code bases are rather involved, and reading the code is probably not an easy task for someone not familiar well with the internal architecture of the projects.

I am not aware of many resources on meta-programming in WL, particularly on the level of official documentation. You can search for some posts on Mathematica at Stack Exchange.

For dealing specifically with languages and grammars, and actually also for some aspects of metaprogramming, look for posts of Anton Antonov, here on this site, on M SE, and on his blog. He has built a number of tools in this area, and made a number of posts explaining those. There is also a nice chapter on implementing languages in WL, in the book "An introduction to programming with Mathematica" by Wellin, Gaylord and Kamin. They show how to implement a simple graphical language.

It this functionality available only in the commercial version, or I can play in online or community distro?

Where can I find intro manuals or tutorials into meta extensions of WL (besides this post)?

POSTED BY: Dmitry Ponyatov

It is possible, yes. As far as I know, a large part (if not all) of the new WL compiler has been written in WL. Also, we wrote the subset-of-WL to SQL compiler mostly in WL, for the new Database Integration project for V12.

I think that symbolic trees representation and transformations are among strong sides of WL. Also, the frontend makes it easy to visualize (parts of) AST, and other relevant data structures. Pattern matching can be a natural tool to work with grammars. So if you are looking at ways to prototype and visualize, then WL is among the best tools available, I think.

One thing you should know is that WL is strongly geared towards immutability, so for best experience, all your data structures (AST, etc.) better be immutable, and stateless. We have used this approach in Database Integration project with very good results, we have zero state in our entire compilation pipeline. But this style of programming needs some time to get used to, unless you are coming from some pure functional languages like Haskell.

Is WL suitable as learning workbench for computer languages design?

I don't mean full-functional compiler, but interactive workbench able to visualize internal compiler/interpreter structures, parse BNF-defined grammars, process attribute grammar, etc.

For the first view, WL language itself looks homoiconic itself, so is it possible to use it for compiler frontend implementing, or making functional/dynamic languages engines?

POSTED BY: Dmitry Ponyatov

Hans,

Metaprogramming is a technique which, as a concept, is rather language-agnostic, as long as the language supports the necessary abstractions to make it easy or possible. For a general description, you can start with the Wikipedia article. In WL, there are a few markers which indicate the use of metaprogramming. To give you a few examples, defining your own scoping construct or inspecting / destructuring some code (written program) will be metaprogramming. Very often, functions which use metaprogramming have one of the Hold - attributes, or otherwise use what is called non-standard evaluation, since they need to prevent some pieces of code from premature evaluation. So, while perhaps not all functions with Hold - attributes can be considered as using metaprogramming, many can.

To give simple examples, some "usual" function like

f[x_]:=x^2

is obviously not using metaprogramming, while, for example, a function which inspects some code and returns a list of all symbols (wrapped in HoldComplete to prevent their possible evaluation), from which that code is built:

ClearAll[getHeldSymbols];
SetAttributes[getHeldSymbols, HoldAllComplete];
getHeldSymbols[expr_]:=Cases[Unevaluated[expr], s_Symbol :> HoldComplete[s], {0, Infinity}, Heads -> True]

does use metaprogramming.

Posted 7 years ago

Leonid, being a bit of a dummy in this area: Would it be possible for you to give a simple example of what is meta programming in WL, and what is not?

POSTED BY: Hans Milton
Posted 7 years ago

Possibly useful for metaprogramming: VisX software for Wolfram Language.

POSTED BY: Bryan Lettner

enter image description here - Congratulations! This post is now a Staff Pick as distinguished on your profile! Thank you for your wonderful contributions. Please, keep them coming!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract