GROUPS:

[WSC17] Meteorite Landing Projections

Posted 1 year ago
|
0 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
|

This project finds the number of people per meteor sighting within a major metropolitan area. I brought in and analyzed a data set from the Wolfram Data Repository and a GeoTIFF from Columbia University to create a representation of how population density of a particular area, affects the number of meteors found in that same vicinity. The image displayed on the microsite is a combination of the two data sets that I analyzed within this project.

The Process: - I had to import information from Data repository and the the Columbia Database. The Population data took a bit of time to acquire and analyze because the file was imported as a ZipFile containing several, rather unreadable, files. - I created a visual GeoGraphic to see how the two sets of data appeared in relation to each other and the world. - From here, I had to find a way to quantify the data. I set up a GeoHistogram and divided up the world into hexagonal "bins" that returned the number of meteorite sightings that occurred within that geographical bin. - Using the GeoHistogram and the data sets, I found the coefficient of people to meteorite sightings, found in the Function "meteoritesPerPerson" - The last step was to create a microsite that, when given a city, returned the number of people per meteorite sighting for that respective geographical area.

All of my code and relevant screenshots are located in the attached notebook.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract