GROUPS:

My paycheck from Hugh Hefner

Posted 1 year ago
|
0 Replies
|
4 Total Likes
|

Back in the late 1970's, my favorite magazine was GAMES magazine, which happened to be owned by Playboy corporation. I had an idea for a puzzle which would be based on converting letters to the phone number equivalent. ABC-> 2, DEF->3, and so on. Pretty easy to make the wordlist now.

wl = Select[WordList[IncludeInflections -> True], Length[Intersection[Characters[#], {"q", "z"}]] == 0 &]; 
phone = {StringReplace[#, Thread[Characters["abcdefghijklmnoprstuvwxy"] -> Flatten[{#, #, #} & /@ Characters["23456789"]]]], #} & /@ wl;  

My puzzle was published, and as a young boy I was able to go to the bank to cash a check signed by Hugh Hefner, with a rainbow playboy bunny stamped next to it. My first paycheck. I wish I'd kept it now.

One question -- what words with the same number have a large distance between them?

Take[SortBy[Select[SplitBy[Sort[phone], First], Length[#] > 1 &], -EditDistance[#[[1, 2]], #[[2, 2]]] &], 200] 

2787433 gives BRUSHED ASTRIDE. 4682337 gives HOTBEDS INVADER. 72672437 gives SCORCHER RAMPAGES. All of these word pairs are somewhat suggestive. Adorns-censor, contour-amounts, cougar-antics, daughter-fatigues, gorged-inside, scolds-ranker, ramrods-scorner, shrunk-pistol, stocker-rumbles, swinger-pygmies.

Thanks for that first paycheck, Hef.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract