Connect with users of Wolfram technologies to learn, solve problems and share ideas
Mark as an Answer
1 Total Likes
Follow this post
Share this post:
Laptop crashing when starting Mathematica 9
11 years ago
After installing mathematica 9.0.1 and I open the program to activate my trial the program stops working and windows is trying to find a solution. This is on windows 7 and as far as I can see my computer meets the requirements for mathematica 9. I tried installing it exactly the same way on my desktop and it didn't crash and I got to the activation part. I have uninstalled it completely and reinstalled several times and did a number of restarts of the computer. The crash happens right after the logo pops up on my screen. I don't know what other information is needed to answer this but feel free to ask.
11 years ago
Perhaps something in theese links can help:
Fixing Common Problems by Resetting Mathematica to Its Default Configuration
If that doesn't fix it I suggest you mail email@example.com
Bruce Miller, Wolfram Research
11 years ago
If you write firstname.lastname@example.org, please include the output from running
in a command-prompt window (via Start - Programs - Accessories, or Start - Run - cmd.exe)
(This is long. Copy and paste it into return email or put it into a file and attach the file.)
Does the Mathematica Kernel run? That might be a useful datum.
To launch the kernel in MS-Windows, click Start menu - Programs -
Wolfram Mathematica - Mathematica 9 Kernel.
Does the computer crash, or does Mathematica fail to launch?
Sashwat Tanay, TIFR
10 years ago
Version: Mathematica Version 22.214.171.124, Microsoft Windows 64-bit
OS: Windows 7
My mathematica crashed the same way. But only when it was not connected to the internet. I changed my default printer , and it fixed the problem. Follow these steps:
1. Start menu>>Devices and printers
2. There will be one/many printers listed there. The one with a green check mark on it is the default printer.
3. If you have only one printer, uninstall it (remove the printer). That means you will not be able to use your printer. In my case, the trouble was because of the printer
4. If you have more than one printer, right click on the printer which you want to set as the default printer (choose any one, other than the one already selected as the default printer). Click 'set as default printer'.
5. If this doesn't work, set another printer as the default printer (using the steps described in point no 4).
6. If mathematica doesnt work even after trying out all the printers, uninstall all the printers. This should do it.
Reply to this discussion
in reply to
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the
Tag limit exceeded
Note: Only the first five people you tag will receive an email notification; the other tagged names will appear as links to their profiles.
Add a file to this post
Follow this discussion
Be respectful. Review our
to understand your role and responsibilities.
Wolfram|Alpha Notebook Edition
Volume & Site Licensing
Enterprise Private Cloud
Service Plans Benefits
Wolfram Language Documentation
Wolfram Language Introductory Book
Get Started with Wolfram
Fast Introduction for Programmers
Fast Introduction for Math Students
Webinars & Training
Connected Devices Project
Wolfram Data Drop
Wolfram + Raspberry Pi
. All rights reserved.
Learn how »