Message Boards Message Boards

Edit the Stylesheet of a notebook and the printout environment?

I'm in the process of editing the stylesheet for a calculation notebook. In the "Working" environment, everything works as intended. However, I've noticed that some of the edited style options, namely the CellMargins, don't appear to affect the notebook layout when I switch to the "Printout" environment. This strikes me as a little odd as all the other style options I've modified (e.g. FontFamily, FontSize, FontColor, etc) are reflected in both the "Working" and the "Printout" environments. I'd like to fix this issue as I'm not a fan of the default indentations which often don't look good on paper and leave a fair amount of wasted space at the left margin. However, I'm struggling to figure out how to apply the edits I've made to the notebook stylesheet in the "Printout" environment and would be very grateful for any pointers. Thanks in anticipation, Ian

POSTED BY: Ian Williams

Since posting the question I've figured out that the margins can be set in the "Printout" environment by specifying "Printout" as the second argument to StyleData[] in the notebook's stylesheet. However, when I take this approach, all other font settings revert to those defined in the Default.nb stylesheet for all environments other than "Printout". One way around this is to duplicate all my "printout" style definitions and, in the duplicate, change the second argument of StyleData[] from "Printout" to "Working". But this is a pain and I suspect there's a better way.

What I can't figure out is why some style settings (e.g. font name, font colour, etc.) appear to propagate across all environments whilst others (e.g. CellMargins) do not. And this raises the question of whether it's possible to change which settings are propagated.

Any pointers/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ian

POSTED BY: Ian Williams
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract