Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

[✓] Install packages on MMA 11.2 on the Raspberry Pi?

Posted 9 months ago
|
4 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
|

Hello, I am missing the menu-item "Install" here on MMA 11.2 on the Raspberry. I am trying to use a 'package' I've downloaded, its readme says

Under File > Install... , choose package and input the path to the package you just downloaded.

Also the help here says the same. But the menupoint "Install" is completely missing here. Is it a difference in the Raspberry-version of MMA? How do I use this package now, is it still possible at all? Many thanks already.

4 Replies

Packages need to placed in the directory returned by FileNameJoin[{$UserBaseDirectory, "Applications"}]. If you got a zip file, you will need to extract it first.

Generally, packages come with installation instructions. You should follow those instructions instead of using File -> Install, which will mess things up unless the package was specifically designed to be installed this way.

Posted 9 months ago

The program I am talking about exactly is POVRayRender. After I copied the folder from basedir .WolframEngine to /Applications it was fine. Then I had figured out how to set the config-path exactly

ConfigurePOVRayRender["POVRayPath" -> "/usr/local/bin/povray"]

now this seems to work as it should.

I could still need some information how to install MathGl3D now...does it work on the Raspberry Pi at all? I tried to extract the linked mgl2_2linux.exe.tar.gz and copied the MathGl3d-folder to /Applications, too - but did not figured out if thats correct or how to get it to work exactly....

(pic is made with/from Povray-example/tutorial after I got it installed)

Attachment

Attachments:

MathGL3D is a very old package that was made for versions of Mathematica that did not have rotatable 3D graphics. It is not needed since Mathematica 6.0 (~2007).

To make it work, very likely it would not only need recompilation, but also several non-trivial compatibility fixes.

If you're looking for packages to try, I'd suggest looking at recent / maintained ones. Anything older than 10 years may be difficult to get working. http://packagedata.net/ mostly lists new or still maintained packages.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract