Message Boards Message Boards

Saturn Flyby: Detailed Simulation

POSTED BY: Jeffrey Bryant
10 Replies
POSTED BY: Rand Baldwin

Here was used a black cylinder. So we can go to imitate the shadow not only on the rings but also the shadow on satellites and moons. And you're right. I used a simple approximation for moons - circular orbits with an arbitrary initial positions.

saturnradius1 = 
  QuantityMagnitude[Entity["Planet", "Saturn"]["PolarRadius"], 
   "Kilometers"];
saturnobliquity = .2; Shadow = Graphics3D[{Black, 
    Cylinder[{{0, 0, 0}, {30*ringouterradius*Cos[saturnobliquity], 
       0, -30*ringouterradius*Sin[saturnobliquity]}}, 
     saturnradius1]}];

Good job Jeff! For my taste we can remove the stars from the scene but add moons

QuantityMagnitude[
 UnitConvert[
  PlanetaryMoonData[{"Mimas", "Enceladus", "Tethys", "Dione", "Rhea", 
    "Titan"}, {"OrbitPeriod", "SemimajorAxis", "Radius"}], "SI"]]

We can also add a shadow to Saturn and calculate the elliptical trajectory of the satellite. As a result we get such animation Saturn

Nice approximation. I'm assuming you chose arbitrary initial positions for the moons and also ignored eccentricity and inclination? Trying to compute actual positions of the moons, taking into account perturbations, etc is quite challenging. Also, I'm curious how you simulated the shadow on the rings.

Very nice simulation. It might be improved by making the rings fractal-like, see e.g. J. Li and M. Ostoja-Starzewski, “Edges of Saturn’s rings are fractal,” arXiv: 1207.0155, 2012. SpringerPlus 4, 158, 2015. A. Malyarenko and M. Ostoja-Starzewski, “Fractal planetary rings: Energy inequalities and random field model,” Int. J. Modern Physics B 31(30), 1750236 (14 pages), 2017.

Very nicely done!

POSTED BY: Carl Sutherland

Great Scott! This is sweet!

POSTED BY: Daniel Bigham

That's amazing Jeff!

FWIW, I have updated the movie and the post to use a new texture for the planet itself. The new texture will be available from EntityValue in a couple weeks and shows the north polar "hexagon" seen in the Cassini imagery.

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract