Message Boards Message Boards

Playing with Gilpin's Proposal for Advection-based Cryptographic Hashing

Posted 6 years ago
POSTED BY: Michael Trott
4 Replies

Such an interesting read! I would never hear about this otherwise, thank you for sharing.

POSTED BY: Kapio Letto

@ Paul

I didn't mean to write a review of the paper, but rather to implement in Wolfram Language the main ingredients of the steps used to run the large simulations from the paper.

Yes, there are quite a few papers that deal with hash generation through chaotic maps of the one or another flavor (discrete and continuous, including CAs). My reading of the paper is that this is the most physical version so far. Maybe even with the prospect of building a physical device that spits out hashes for certain kind of input (protocols). And the reverse question: what is the most natural representation of a hash in a physical system? Chaotic systems surely can be used to generate hashes because they quickly change and they are hard to invert. But maybe there is even a quantum version for a fully linear evolution? Partial traces seem perfect to reduce information. If say the message is encoded in a quasi-periodic driving force (similar to the stirring protocol), could time crystals be used for hash generation? Or in the periodicity of some external field (Harper equation).

Some of the advantages of the system is the early-time hyperuniform hash distribution.

Wrt the script letters. Imo the use of the same variables as original literature makes comparing the two easier. That is why I used them.

POSTED BY: Michael Trott

Very nice article, as always. However, there are a number of typographical issues with missing parentheses and script letters not being formatted in the text (as well as in the code), which is quite distracting. The use of code with script letters, which I, too, use often, always looks crappy in HTML.

On a more technical note, while I've not yet read Gilpin's paper, it immediately occurred to me that one could use the Lorenz model to achieve the same outcome and a quick search shows a number of papers recently published on this idea (e.g., Google hashing using Lorenz equations). And even simpler, one could use the logistic map, for which there are also many papers. So, I guess it would be helpful to readers to know why Gilpin's proposal is advantageous.

POSTED BY: Paul Abbott

enter image description here - Congratulations! This post is now a Staff Pick as distinguished by a badge on your profile! Thank you, keep it coming!

POSTED BY: Moderation Team
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract