Message Boards Message Boards

[WSC18] Voice sentiment classification using neural networks

Posted 6 years ago

Introduction

Hello Wolfram community! My name is Ryan Heo and I am a student at the Wolfram high school summer camp where over the past two weeks I was able to work on and complete a project called "Voice Sentiment classification". The goal of this project was to be able to take an input of an audio speech file and be able to classify that into one of the 8 different categories of emotion using machine learning. Down below is are the steps and the procedure I followed in the completion of my project.

Dataset

For this project I used the Ryerson Audio-Visual Database of Emotional Speech which consisted of varying tones or emotion of speech recordings from voice actors.Down below is the importation of the speech audio files that I have downloaded

folders = Select[FileNames["*", NotebookDirectory[]], 
   DirectoryQ[#] && StringContainsQ[#, "Actor"] &];
fileNames = FileNames["*.wav", #] & /@ folders // Flatten;
audio = Import /@ fileNames;

Encoding the data

After I have imported all the data files I took extracted the number section of the file name that matches the different emotion categories. I then separated these numbers into eight sections which corresponded with the emotional category of these files. Additionally, I threaded these sections to their corresponding emotion and after flattening the list and random sampling the data I inserted the data into the net encoder. I converted the data into a mel-frequency cepstrum which is based on the log power spectrum and does a better job modeling the human auditory system than the a normal cepstrum. In the net encoder I set my sampling rate and the number of filters I had to a high number in order to create more data points and to be able to extract more features respectively.

enc = NetEncoder[{"AudioMelSpectrogram", "WindowSize" -> 4096, 
    "Offset" -> 1024, "SampleRate" -> 44100, "MinimumFrequency" -> 1, 
    "MaximumFrequency" -> 22050, "NumberOfFilters" -> 128}] ;

After encoding the data I separated it into sections consisting of length 41 and reshaped the array to be inputted into neural net for training. Down below is a representation of the mel spectrogram represented by a matrix plot enter image description here

Neural Networks

I used a combination of a convolutional neural network and a recurrent network for classification. Down below is the convolutional neural network architecture that I used

convNet = NetChain[
  {
   conv[32],
   conv[32],
   PoolingLayer[{3, 3}, "Stride" -> 3, "Function" -> Max],
   BatchNormalizationLayer[],
   Ramp,
   conv[64],
   conv[64],
   Ramp,
   conv[128],
   conv[128],
   Ramp,
   conv[256],
   conv[256],
   Ramp,
   LinearLayer[1024],
   Ramp,
   DropoutLayer[0.5],
   LinearLayer[8],
   SoftmaxLayer[]
   },
  "Input" -> {1, 41, 128},
  "Output" -> NetDecoder[{"Class", newClasses}]
  ]

This is the architecture for the recurrent network with LSTM layers

recurrentNet = NetChain[{
   LongShortTermMemoryLayer[128, "Dropout" -> 0.3],
   LongShortTermMemoryLayer[128, "Dropout" -> 0.3],
   SequenceLastLayer[],
   LinearLayer[Length@newClasses],
   SoftmaxLayer[]
   },
  "Input" -> {"Varying", 8},
  "Output" -> NetDecoder[{"Class", newClasses}]
  ]

I then combined these two nets

netCombined = NetChain[{
   NetMapOperator[cnnTrainedNet],
   lstmTrained
   }]

I inputted the section of the dataset files I reserved for testing and validation and inputted these files into the combined neural net achieving an accuracy of 85 percent.Down below would be a good representation of how accurate my net was in in classifying these files into their respective emotional categories.

For example in the neutral category out of the 38 samples of the randomly distributed data it was able to correctly match these files into neutral 28 times. As shown below the net seems to confuse the neutral emotion with the sadness emotion as seen by guessing sad 4 times out of 38 files.

enter image description here

Deploying the Microsite

MicroFunc[aud_Audio] := Module[{net, enc},
  net = Import[CloudObject[
    "https://www.wolframcloud.com/objects/ryanheo2001/CombinedNet.\
wlNet"], "WLNET"];
  enc = NetEncoder[{"AudioMelSpectrogram", "WindowSize" -> 4096, 
     "Offset" -> 1024, "SampleRate" -> 44100, "MinimumFrequency" -> 1,
      "MaximumFrequency" -> 22050, "NumberOfFilters" -> 128}];
  net[Transpose[{Partition[enc[aud], 41]}, {2, 1, 3, 4}]]
  ]
CloudDeploy[
 FormPage[{"Audio" -> "CachedFile" -> "", "URL" -> "URL" -> ""}, Which[
    #Audio =!= "", MicroFunc[Audio[#Audio]],
    #URL =!= "", MicroFunc[Import[#URL, "Audio"]],
    True, ""] &, PageTheme -> "Red", 
  AppearanceRules -> <|"Title" -> "Voice Sentiment Classifier"|>],
 "VoiceSentiment", Permissions -> "Public"]

The final microsite can be found here at: https://www.wolframcloud.com/objects/ryanheo2001/VoiceSentiment

Lastly, I want to thank my mentor Michael and all the instructors and staff at the wolfram summer camp. They have been very helpful and I have learned valuable lessons from them these past two weeks.

POSTED BY: Ryan Heo
5 Replies

What do you put in the URL box again?

POSTED BY: David Johnston

I uploaded .wav files and get $Failed as answer most of the time.

That data set shows 4.6TB of data? Did you use Stream to import? Your code seems like it may be missing a step?

Posted 6 years ago

The data set consisted of two sections which were the ones that contained the speech of the voice actors and the song version of the actors. I just used the ones that contained which I believe was around 24 GB.

Posted 6 years ago

Thank you for the feedback.It seems to be working fine on my laptop but I will take a look at it again and update the microsite once this issue is fixed.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract