Message Boards Message Boards

Where are notebooks for "Classical Mechanics with Mathematica", 2nd ed?

I just got the new book ""Classical Mechanics with Mathematica", 2nd ed, by Romano and Marasco. The preface refers to available Mathematica notebooks, the cover includes a box "EXTRAS ONLINE".

Where are those notebooks found?

So far as I can see, there is no indication in the books' preface, colophon, etc., as to the notenooks' loccation. And the page for the book at the publisher's website, https://www.springer.com/us/book/9783319775944, seems to have no link whatsoever to such notebooks. (The "Downloads" link there has as target an external site giving metrics on downloads of the ebook and individual chapters of it.)

In face, as I have begun to read the book, I have not yet found any mention of Mathematica, not even in exercises in the "Mechanics" part of the book, where the preface alleges that exercises using Mathematica may be found.

POSTED BY: Murray Eisenberg
10 Replies

Today I learned that the solutions manual to Taylor's Classical Mechanics was aided by Mathematica, e.g. all the illustrations. Taylor's text was translated into many languages, and the German publisher made the complete solutions manual available as commercial protected PDF (10 bucks, ~385 pages). The original publisher made half of it available as so-called "Student Solution Manual", i.e. only the odd-numbered problems (©2020, 213 pages). I am going to check out the translation (©2014, 895 pages orly?), if it is any good.

POSTED BY: Raspi Rascal
Posted 3 years ago

I was able to download them here:

http://extras.springer.com/2018/978-3-319-77594-4

This is linked on Wolfram’s website for this book.

POSTED BY: Eric Brown

The Wolfram Books webpage hasn't listed it but the new 2020 CRC Press book "Classical Mechanics ... Using Mathematica" is available yet. I had a peek and it is what i'd want such a text to be. Decent work, integrating well Mathematica code snippets and mechanics as taught in first courses (physics, engineering dynamics), with plenty of helpful illustrations. I like it much better than the Romano Marasco which in the end has very little to do with Mathematica imho (Springer marketing trick?).

Hopefully the Wolfram Books webpage updates their catalog with this relevant title.

The cited CRC Press book, alas, has an astronomical price, even for the paperback edition.

True true, over the top (and I wouldn't understand). They are generous to first-time adopters though, with complimentary inspection copies for university instructors or assistants. One asks, one gets.

The problem sets at the end of chapters look decent\computable. Maybe the big plus for the book, as long as one has got the solutions too.

My question, "How and where did you find it?" meant:

"How did you know to look at http://extras.springer.com? I saw no such link mentioned in the book itself or on the publisher's web page for the book!"

I didn't see the link anywhere, so I tried to compose the URL on my own. The URL follows a simple string pattern, you just need to know the year and the ISBN number ;-)

My favorite mechanics book is Gummert Reckling Mechanik Third Edition, it is beautiful, just wonderful, do you know it? It is my basis to connect mechanics with Mathematica. Also check out the unique PC educational software, free trial version of

Thank you for the link!

How and where did you find it?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract