Message Boards Message Boards

Quickly clean up missing values from hundreds of XLS files?

I have hundreds of XLS files that need to be aggregated, but I find that each file has more or less missing values or error messages. Is there any way to quickly clean up these missing values or error messages? Because I still don't know how to clean up a lot of data, so the following code only extract the data in different files.

(*   Get a list of files   *)
dir = "D:\\Data";
fileList = FileNames["*", dir];
For[i = 1, i = Length[fileList], i++,
 If[i == 1,
      rawdata = Import[fileList[[i]], {"XLS", "Data"}][[1]];    (*i=1 olny *)
  {
   tempData = Rest@Import[fileList[[i]], {"XLS", "Data"}][[1]];        (*i != 1*)
   rawdata = AppendTo[rawdata, tempData];
   }
  ]
 ]
POSTED BY: Tsai Ming-Chou
4 Replies

Tsai,

You should use Map to Import all your files instead of For

dir = "D:\\Data";
fileList = FileNames["*", dir];
data =  Map[Import[#, {"XLS", "Data"}]&,fileList];

You can then flatten the list one level if you want it in one list instead of a list of lists (I do not know how you will be using it).

What do you mean by "Clean up" data? For example if a value is "15#" should that be deleted or become "15" or something else? What should happen to blank data? Do you want to make them all the Mathematica symbol Missing[]?

Regards,

Neil

POSTED BY: Neil Singer
Attachments:

In the attachment, the field names are 01 to 24, representing hourly measurement data. I want to mark the contents of these fields as the value of "blank data" uniformly marked as "NA" and delete characters (for example, "15#" is marked as 15). Since the data is aggregated and will calculate on a time-by-time basis, data from different files should flatten into a significant data set for subsequent matrix operations.

data = Flatten[Map[Import[#, {"XLS", "Data"}] &, fileList], 2];

Thank you very much for your demonstration. I will follow this idea to practice.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract