Write and run C++ code in Mathematica ?

Posted 2 months ago
|
3 Replies
|
3 Total Likes
|

Hi there friends,

I'd like to write and run some C++ programs (as part of a presentation) from within Mathematica. I've seen a simple example in the documentation - using CreateExecutable - but I didn't succeed. Is it something, maybe settings, that I have to do first?

I am using an almost 5 years old MacBook Pro with Mac OS High Sierra and I write C++ programs using X Code 10.0.

Here's what I've got when I tried the example in the documentation :

In[23]:= Needs["CCompilerDriver`"]

In[24]:= hello = CreateExecutable["
  #include <stdio.h>
  int main(){
    printf(\"hello world\\n\");
  }
  ", "hello"]

During evaluation of In[24]:= CreateExecutable::cmperr: Compile error: xcrun: error: active developer path ("/Applications/Xcode 2.app/Contents/Developer") does not exist >>

Out[24]= $Failed

In[25]:= Import["!" <> QuoteFile[hello], "Text"]

During evaluation of In[25]:= StringJoin::string: String expected at position 2 in !<>QuoteFile($Failed). >>

During evaluation of In[25]:= Import::chtype: First argument !<>QuoteFile($Failed) is not a valid file, directory, or URL specification. >>

Out[25]= $Failed

Thank you, :)

3 Replies
Posted 2 months ago

As a start, does "/Applications/Xcode 2.app/Contents/Developer" exist on your Mac? (starting with what the error message hints at)

What do

CCompilers[]
$CCompilerDefaultDirectory

return on your machine? What if you set $CCompiler to an alternative compiler on your machine, for example perhaps a call like:

$CCompiler = CCompilerDriver`GCCCompiler`GCCCompiler

The example you mention from CCompilerDriver/ref/CreateExecutable works for me with Mathematica 11.3 on macOS Mojave.

Hi,

Thank you for the answer. Things changed but "I'm not there yet". Please find below the answers to your questions.

I created the paths the system asked for. Now I've got the following:

In[4]:= hello = CreateExecutable["
  #include <stdio.h>
  int main(){
    printf(\"hello world\\n\");
  }
  ", "hello"]

During evaluation of In[4]:= CreateExecutable::cmperr: Compile error: xcrun: error: unable to exec Xcode native xcrun (Permission denied). >>

Out[4]= $Failed

On the other hand:
CCompilers[]    and    $CCompilerDefaultDirectory    return

In[5]:= CCompilers[]

Out[5]= {{Name->Clang,Compiler->CCompilerDriver`ClangCompiler`ClangCompiler,CompilerInstallation->/usr/bin,CompilerName->Automatic},{Name->GCC,Compiler->CCompilerDriver`GCCCompiler`GCCCompiler,CompilerInstallation->/usr/bin,CompilerName->Automatic}}

and 

In[6]:= $CCompilerDefaultDirectory

Out[6]= /Users/DCV/Library/Mathematica/SystemFiles/LibraryResources/MacOSX-x86-64

Thank you, :)

Does your C++ compiler work at all when using it from a command line?

Have you tried running c++ hello.cpp (or cc hello.c as your program is actually C and not C++) in a terminal window?

Also, when I work with CreateLibrary or CreateExecutable and I get an error, the very first thing I do is to add "ShellCommandFunction" -> Print, "ShellOutputFunction" -> Print as options. This way I can see what exactly is happening.

Finally, why do you have Xcode 2.app instead of Xcode.app? Macs are typically set up in a standard way, so there's no need to configure compilers explicitly for Mathematica. It would seem that you do not have a standard configuration. What exactly did you change?

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract