Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
5 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Get 3358th digit of Pi, E and Phi using W|A?

Posted 5 years ago

According to subidiom.com the first occurrence of 1984 on Pi is at the 3358th decimal digit. http://www.subidiom.com/pi/pi.asp

enter image description here

I can use the command "3359 digit of pi" to get a similar output on WolframAlpha including nearby digits as you can see below.

http://m.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=3359+digit+of+pi

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work with e or phi. Does someone have a workaround for that ?

Thanks,

POSTED BY: Renan José
5 Replies
Posted 5 years ago

These appear to work consistently for me

Digits of Pi

Digits of E

Digits of Phi

POSTED BY: Bill Nelson
Posted 5 years ago

Nice way to get the sequences on Phi! Do you know if it is possible to look for the first occurrence of a given sequence ? Like "1984", which should be the command to look for the first appearance of this sequence on those constants ? Thank you!

Posted 5 years ago

WolframAlpha understands a subset of Mathematica notation. For example it understands this:

Partition[First[RealDigits[Pi,10,100]],4,1]

which gives each subsequent overlapping four tuple of the first 100 digits of Pi in base 10.

What I would then want to do is to find the position of a particular four tuple in that using something like

Position[Partition[First[RealDigits[Pi,10,100]],4,1],{1,5,9,2}]

Unfortunately it appears that the word "Position" somehow confuses this and it is not able to find the position of that four tuple. More unfortunately, I have not been able to find any alternate form of query to accomplish this. But perhaps this might give you or someone else some idea that will lead to a solution.

POSTED BY: Bill Nelson
Posted 5 years ago
SequencePosition[First[RealDigits[Pi, 10, 100]], {1, 5, 9, 2}]
(* {{4, 7}} *)
POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi
Posted 5 years ago

enter image description here

Looks like unfortunately it is not working

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract