6 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Avoid issue with bracket size?

Posted 5 years ago

Hello,

I try to write a basic expression in mathematica. ]-pi/2,pi/2[ When I use open close brackets, their size match the size of the expression : enter image description here

When I use open bracket on the left and close on the right, it is the same : enter image description here But as soon as I want to use open bracket on the right of the expression, the right bracket display in small : enter image description here

Do you please have an idea how to fix this ? Thank you for kind help best Regards

POSTED BY: Morgan Bourgeois
6 Replies
Posted 5 years ago

It is not clear exactly what you are trying to fix. Instead of images, please provide code that exhibits the problem.

POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi

Hello,

in that case, code would not help understanding, only the image can help to understand, the images represent 3 Intervals. And as you may see, in the 3 one the size of character "[" does not match the size of the expression with pi/2.

the "[" is smaller it does not adapt to the expression between "[" and "]" ... this is what I try to solve, not more.

When I have "[pi/2, pi/2]" "close/ close" the size ôf brackets adapt to the expression

When I have "]pi/2, pi/2 ]" open/close" the size of brackets adapt to the expression

When I have "[pi/2, pi/2[" close/open or "]pi/2,pi/2[" open, open, the size of the second bracket DOES NOT adapt. In other words, when I input and interval, the second bracket does not adapat the size of expression when it is open.

Posted 5 years ago

Why would you expect the bracket sizes to change when the input is not valid syntax?

[Pi/2, Pi/2]
Syntax::tsntxi: "[Pi/2,Pi/2]" is incomplete; more input is needed.

] Pi/2, Pi/2]
Syntax::bktmop: Expression "]Pi/2" has no opening "[".

[Pi/2, Pi/2[
Syntax::bktmcp: Expression "2[" has no closing "]".

] Pi/2, Pi/2[
Syntax::bktmop: Expression "]Pi/2" has no opening "[".

Dear Rohit,

Please kindly read before answering :)

I don't know how you tried to reproduce what I did but as I mentioned, when I input the interval with [a,b] it works cf., the bracket has the correct size (cf. the first screen shot on the first post), when I do ]a,b] it works as well (cf. the second screen shot on the first post).

Only when the second bracket is open do I have an issue (cf. the 3rd screen shot)

Showing the result is exactly the reason why I sent screen shots and not code in that case.

I'm not having any error message like yours it is a usual notation for an interval, that is why I expect the second bracket to have the same size as the expression.

Posted 5 years ago

Hi Morgan,

Clearly there is some miscommunication here. :-)

To reproduce what I reported in my last response, in a notebook Input cell type [Pi/2,Pi/2] and then Shift+Return to evaluate it.

The only explanation is that you are working in a Text cell, not an Input cell. For your third screenshot example the size of the left square bracket is determined by the size of what follows itenter image description here.

I do not know how to change that. Perhaps someone more familiar with typesetting can help.

Rohit

Not very satisfying, but here is a workaround:

With[{h = 35},
 DisplayForm[
  RowBox[{Style["[", h], "\[NegativeMediumSpace]", -Pi/2, ",", Pi/2, 
    "\[NegativeMediumSpace]", Style["[", h]}]]]
POSTED BY: Gianluca Gorni
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract