[MAKE] Boot Logo for a Laptop

Posted 1 month ago
|
1 Reply
|
17 Total Likes
|

Open in Cloud | Attachments for Desktop at the End

WARNING: Customizing boot logo of the laptop might require flash the BIOS firmware, which has a small chance to fail and permanently "brick" the laptop!

enter image description here

Just as many people, I do a lot of work on my laptop. And naturally, just like many people, I want to customize it to feel like "mine". One thing I always wanted was to change the boot logo, since that's the first thing you see when you wake up your electric friend. Image my excitement when I found out that there's an official BIOS Update Utility just for that for my ThinkPad T440s! The only catch, according to the vaguely written documentation in the utility, and a bunch of internet articles I found, it seems that the logo designs are subject to certain constraints:

1. the most suitable format is GIF
  2. image dimensions must be less than 768 x 432
  3. image must be below 30KiB.

Having got that out of the way, it's time to make my awesome logo!

As a start, I generated a vector drawing using the Constantia font and the lovely \[LightBulb] icon.

vectorgraph = ExportString[
            Style["i\[LightBulb]ea", 100, Bold, FontFamily -> "Constantia"] // Echo
            , "PDF"] //
        ImportString[#, "PDF"][[1]] &

vectorgraph

I wanted my logo to look low-poly styled. Firstly, I made the edges jagged by chossing a large value for MaxCellMeasure.

bregionInit = vectorgraph // BoundaryDiscretizeGraphics[ #, MaxCellMeasure -> 10 ] &

bregionInit

Next, I trianglized the region with TriangulateMesh. For the same reason, a large MaxCellMeasure really helps to give the low-poly effect. In addition, a high MeshQualityGoal is necessary to create somewhat regular triangle pieces.

At this point, the 30KiB limitation I talked about earlier comes into play. Many triangles means more details means larger file size, even for GIF. Through some good old eye-balling, I settled on a value of 0.7, which manages to look great while still staying under the limit.

mesh = TriangulateMesh[ bregionInit
                        , MeshQualityGoal -> .7
                        , MaxCellMeasure -> 200 ]

mesh

The shape looks good to me. For afterward manipulation, let's collect all the triangles with their positions.

polys = MeshPrimitives[mesh, 2];
centers = PropertyValue[{mesh, 2}, MeshCellCentroid];
polys // Short
centers // Short

(*
 {Polygon[{{2.115,19.2363},{4.8094,19.2363},{1.94625,20.9013}}],<<367>>,Polygon[<<1>>]}
 {{2.95688,19.7913},<<367>>,{58.7516,38.3716}}
*)

Pretty good, but better with some colors!

One possible way to paint my triangles is to shade them according to their heights.

To do that I extracted the heights and rescaled them to get a percentage $\lambda$ so those near the central horizontal line have values near 0, and those furthest have values near 1. It will serve as a "gradient mask" for later use.

λs = centers[[;; , 2]] // RightComposition[
            Through@*{Identity, Mean}
            , Apply[Subtract]
            , Abs /* Rescale
        ];

Time to choose a color scheme. I find "StarryNightColors" very delightful.

polysNew = MapThread[Function[{p, c, λ},
                {
                    FaceForm[ColorData["StarryNightColors"][2 λ]]
                    , p}
                ]
            , {polys, centers, λs}
            , 1];
polysNew // Shallow /* Short

(*
 {{FaceForm[<<1>>],Polygon[<<1>>]},{FaceForm[<<1>>],Polygon[<<1>>]},<<7>>,{FaceForm[<<1>>],Polygon[<<1>>]},<<359>>}
*)

logo = Graphics[{polysNew}, Background -> Black, PlotRangePadding -> 0]

logo_1

Looks much better now, isn't it?

However, I am still not satisfied. Bearing in mind the file size restriction, maybe I can experiment with some geometric transformations?

logo = Block[{
            polysNew,
            λTransFunc = Function[x, (1 - Cos[π/2 x]^3)/2]
            },
                    {
                        FaceForm[ColorData["StarryNightColors"][2 λ]]
                        , MapAt[(1 - λ) # + λ c &, {1, ;;}]@p}
                    ]
                , {polys, centers, λs // λTransFunc}
                , 1];
        Graphics[{polysNew}, Background -> Black, PlotRangePadding -> 0]
        ]

logo_2

Not bad, except that the central pieces are now waaay too dark. Let's add some bright edges for them.

logo = Block[{
            polysNew,
            λTransFunc = Function[x, (1 - Cos[π/2 x]^3)/2]
            },
                    {
                        If[λ > .3, {}, 
                            EdgeForm@{GrayLevel[1 - λ^.5], AbsoluteThickness[0]}
                        ]
                        , FaceForm[ColorData["StarryNightColors"][2 λ]]
                        , MapAt[(1 - λ) # + λ c &, {1, ;;}]@p}
                    ]
                , {polys, centers, λs // λTransFunc}
                , 1];
        Graphics[{polysNew}, Background -> Black, PlotRangePadding -> 0]
        ]

logo_3

The warming yellow has been restricted to the light bulb, leaving me pure deep blue glossy letters. I think I'm good to go :D

To fit the constraint of the utility tool, the final work is to rasterize the image and export it to GIF.

logoImg = logo //
        RightComposition[
            Image[#, ImageSize -> 1000] &
            , ImagePad[#, 50, Black] &
            , ImageResize[#, 768 + 45] &
            , ImageCrop
        ];

logoFile = Export[
             FileNameJoin[{NotebookDirectory[], "logoImg.gif"}]
             , logoImg
             , "GIF"
           ];

Unfortunately, despite my very carefully tuning, the resulting GIF still exceeded the file size limitation of 30KiB.

FileSize[logoFile] // UnitConvert[#, "Kibibytes"] &

48.8789KiB

I searched around and came to a commandline tool called Gifsicle. The following command (run in OS' console) finally did the trick. Hurray!

gifsicle -k 50 -O3 --no-extensions --no-comments < logoImg.gif > LOGO2.gif

Now check the perfect file size,

FileSize[FileNameJoin[{NotebookDirectory[], "LOGO2.gif"}]] // 
    UnitConvert[#, "Kibibytes"] &

29.7598KiB

The rest is refreshingly straight forward. I dropped my LOGO2.GIF in the utility's own directory and executed the firmware update utility. It automatically picked up the logo image and proceeded to modify my firmware. One reboot later, I was rewarded by my very own boot logo!

t440s boot image

Easter eggs:

Can you guess what happened when I remembered my another old ThinkPad the next day?

other boot image

(The color scheme used here was "CoffeeTones".)

At last, the family photo of my electric friends :)

family photo

Thanks for watching and ... ...

Stay tuned! Next post we will share our experiment on making cool booting animation with Mathematica for Android phones! :)

enter image description here - Congratulations! This post is now a Staff Pick as distinguished by a badge on your profile! Thank you, keep it coming, and consider contributing your work to the The Notebook Archive!

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract