Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
4 Replies
|
2 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Render labels in plots with a Plain or Regular font weight?

Posted 5 years ago

Something appears to have changed since updated to Mojave. I want the font styles of labels in plots to be Regular or Plain but they render on screen as Bold. When I export a plot as PDF or copy as PDF, the labels are bold. How do I get the labels to render as Plain?

Here is a simple plot like I used to do. The font weight is not specified. The plot renders with Bold labels on my MacBook Pro.

Plot[x^2, {x, -10, 10}, 
 LabelStyle -> {FontFamily -> "Georgia", FontSize -> 18, 
   FontColor -> Black}, ImageSize -> 540]

The same plot with Plain for font weight still renders as bold.

Plot[x^2, {x, -10, 10},
 LabelStyle -> {FontFamily -> "Georgia", FontSize -> 18, 
   FontWeight -> Plain, FontColor -> Black}, ImageSize -> 540]

How can I get regular or plain font weights?

Greg

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Gregory Lypny
4 Replies

Greg,

This is a known bug (fixed in V12 about to be released). See this thread for the issue and workarounds.

Regards,

Neil

POSTED BY: Neil Singer

Greg,

Your fix appears to use JPEG, PNG, and TIFF. I'd much rather stick with PDF to be able to scale the images nicely.

True. The only real solution that is seamless is to get version 12 (which is imminent). I tried this plot under prerelease V12 and it works — creating the PDF that you expect. If you can’t wait for v12, did you try editing the pdf after it is created with Acrobat or another editor? (I have not tried this but it should work)

Regards

Neil

POSTED BY: Neil Singer
Posted 5 years ago

Thanks Neil,

Your fix appears to use JPEG, PNG, and TIFF. I'd much rather stick with PDF to be able to scale the images nicely.

Regards,

Greg

Posted 5 years ago

Hi Neil,

I think it best that I wait for version 12 because I use very different sizes of the plots in three different documents: Keynote slides in PDF, a PDF book, and an EPUB. I've got functions that change all of the formatting depending on the type of document. For the time being, I simply use the plots with the unwanted boldface labels because they are going into appendices. When the version 12 comes out, I'll simply rerun the plots and inserted them.

Thanks again for your help,

Greg

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract