Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
4 Replies
|
15 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Why are version numbers being removed from new documentation pages?

Posted 11 years ago
I noticed something in the new documentation pages for functions. Before it used to say the version numbers when the function was created and last modified.

Now, it only gives the year.

Is this supposed to be better?  People go by version numbers. Here is an example: Compare the bottom of these 2 pages

http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/TakeWhile.html
http://reference.wolfram.com/language/ref/TakeWhile.html

I am truly baffled by this change. Why by purpose remove useful piece of information? version numbers?
Now one will have to go search and waste time in order find what version was released in 2007 in order to know the versions.

And what if a function changed in same year? Will the new documenation now say "Introduced in late spring of 2014 and updated in early winter 2014" ?? Would this really be better than saying "Introduced in version 10.0 and updated version 10.1".

If the year needs to be there, why not simply add it but keep version numbers, that is much more important than the year.

I hope this is not a permanent change to the documentation.
POSTED BY: Nasser M. Abbasi
4 Replies
It now gives the year and version:

POSTED BY: C ormullion
I completely agree. I rely on version information when writing code that needs to take advantage of differences between versions or to correct bugs in particular versions, eg:
If[$VersionNumber<=8, <<fix a bug or use other code to implement a function that is available only in later versions>>, ...]
POSTED BY: David Reiss
I miss some Mathematica functions to gives functions metadata like:
  1.  Mathematica Versions of implementation
  2.  Year of implementation
  3.  Functions category (core, graphics, statistical)
  4.  Related functions.
  5.  and so on...
It would be nice to study new Mathematica versions and for book writers.
Somethting like:
FunctionMetadata[Map]
{"ImplementationVersion"-> xx,"ImplementationYear"-> xxxx,"ReletadFunctions"-> {aaa,aaa,aaa}, "FunctionCategory"-> "CoreLanguage"}
POSTED BY: Rodrigo Murta
You're right, of course, Nasser, but are you sure that this is the future of Mathematica documentation? It might just be the documentation for online-Wolfram-Language cloud-based products, which might not have version numbers. Perhaps there will be a Mathematica-specific version of the documentation online, and perhaps when the documentation is generated it converts version numbers to either dates or version numbers depending on the target...

</endspeculation> emoticon
POSTED BY: C ormullion
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract