Message Boards Message Boards

Plot circles using the various historical approximations of Pi?

Posted 5 years ago

I want to be able to see the over or under approximations as a consequence of using older approximations of Pi such as 355/113 or 25/8 instead of the default value used by Mathematica.

I was not able to see any visible difference by using the ReplaceAll function to replace Pi. What kind of function can I use to to plot a circle to demonstrate these differences to students?

Thank you!

Attachments:
POSTED BY: R Q
4 Replies

(1) The Wolfram Language is case-sensitive. So Pi is not the same as pi.

(2) A Circle primitive is going to be a graphic of a circle. No substitution will change that.

(3) It is quite unclear, both from post and notebook, what exactly is the goal. A circle is a circle, independent of how ratio of circumference to diameter is evaluated.

POSTED BY: Daniel Lichtblau
Posted 5 years ago

Thank you for your response, Daniel.

Do I understand correctly that you are saying Pi plays no role in the plotting of a circle? If this is true, I'd like to know how they are plotted.

Posted 5 years ago

I am not privy to how Mathematica does things under the hood, but it is indeed true that one does not need $\pi$ to draw a circle. On the conceptually simpler end of things, there is e.g. Minsky's method, whose (naive) Mathematica implementation might go like

With[{h = N[1/16]}, 
     Graphics[Line[NestList[{{1, -h}, {h, 1 - h^2}}.# &, {1, 0}, Round[8/h]]]]]

and on the fancier end of things, one can use non-uniform rational B-splines (NURBS), which is mathematically equivalent to parametrizing a circle with the stereographic projection:

With[{n = 150}, 
     ParametricPlot[{1 - u^2, 2 u}/(1 + u^2), {u, -n, n}, PlotRange -> All]]

Jim Blinn gives a good survey of various methods here. All of this is independent of computing $\pi$.

POSTED BY: J. M.
Posted 5 years ago

Thank you for your reply, JM.

If ? is not necessary to draw a circle, I will rephrase my question: What can I plot to demonstrate the consequences of using different approximations of ??

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract