GROUPS:

Use OutputResponse in WM 12?

Posted 1 month ago
|
3 Replies
|
4 Total Likes
|

Hello I am trying to simulate a third order system using OutputResponse. Here are the commands I used for the simulation

OutputResponse[TransferFunctionModel[k 1/(s (s + 1)^2 + k), s], 
  UnitStep[t], t]
Plot[% /. {k -> 1}, {t, 0, 100}]

Almost a copy of the example shown in the help page for OutputResponse.
Problems I have encountered are: a) WM takes a long time to output the answer. To be honest, I don't remember being that slow when using the same example in WM 11 (Unfortunately I have deleted the old version to give room to the new one). b) Rather intricate output - Again I don't recall WM 11 using RootSum in this particular problem. It is a third order polynomial. c) For k=1, the system is stable and the output of Plot is a response of an unstable system. It seems right up to t=20 but after WM 12 loses it completely. Numerical problems?

My plan was to encapsulate the commands above in a manipulate loop for different values of k, but unfortunately I don't see how. I have tried different values of k and the output was not the one expected for any of them.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Ed

Ps. I have tried alternatives such as defining a function resp[t,k] with = and := but to no avail.

3 Replies

Hi Ed,

I can confirm this. V11.3 is a bit faster, but both 11.3 and 12 produce the unstable response. It is clearly an error.

RootLocusPlot confirms the system is stable with k=1:

tfm = TransferFunctionModel[k 1/(s (s + 1)^2 + k), s];

RootLocusPlot[tfm, {k, .5, 1.5}, FeedbackType -> None, 
 PoleZeroMarkers -> {None, Automatic, None, "ParameterValues" -> {1}}]

enter image description here

Using Laplace transforms gives a believable result:

stepResponse = InverseLaplaceTransform[k 1/(s (s + 1)^2 + k)/s, s, t];

Plot[stepResponse /. k -> 1, {t, 0, 50}, PlotRange -> All]

And so does OutputResponse for the model with k = 1:

out = OutputResponse[tfm /. k -> 1, UnitStep[t], {t, 0, 50}];
Plot[out, {t, 0, 50}, PlotRange -> All]

I have reported three issues regarding Control Systems so far. Two have been confirmed as bugs. The third involved numerical instability in OutputResponse, for which I have had no reply.

I suggest you report this to Tech Support.

Kind regards,

David

If you use {k->1.}, Chop function is usually advised to applied to eliminate complex epsilons during numeric operation.

Posted 1 month ago

Hi David

Many thanks for the examples. Thanks to one of them, I wrote an animation that works in this case.

Manipulate[
 tfm = TransferFunctionModel[k 1/(s (s + 1)^2 + k), s];
 out = OutputResponse[tfm /. k -> kval, UnitStep[t], {t, 0, 50}];
 Plot[out, {t, 0, 50}, PlotRange -> All],
 {{kval, 1, "Gain"}, 0, 100, 1, Appearance -> "Labeled"}]

I have been reporting Control Toolbox bugs since the time one had to buy it separately (Control System Professional version 2.1). I think this issue will be another one on my list.

Kind Regards

Ed

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract