Message Boards Message Boards

Impact of Reddit posts on Stock Market Price?

Posted 5 years ago

Dear Wolfram Users,

I am new to Wolfram and I would like to ask an advice of the proficient users.

I would like to study the impact of news articles on the stock market fluctuation for my coursework. My idea, to start with, was to take all the entries from the subreddit 'finance' for the last 3 years, making a database. Then I would like to split this data into negative and positive one and build a correlation model to the price of an index, say S&P 500.

I have used Wolfram a bit and have read a documentation, but I am not sure how to build the code.

As far as I understood, I have to use ServiceConnect command to connect to Reddit. Then I don't know how to build the command which will give me an output of just the titles of the posts and their date. Afterwards, i think, Classify command would be useful to split the data into negative and positive one. And in the end I would build the correlation model. Do you have any ideas or thoughts, on how to build the code properly? I have found this article useful https://community.wolfram.com/groups/-/m/t/904110, but here comments of one person are analysed, not all the posts from the subreddit.

Then I don't know how to build the command which will give me an output of just the titles of the posts and their date.

You can start with something like:

reddit = ServiceConnect["Reddit", "New"];

financePosts = reddit["SubredditPosts", "Subreddit" -> "Finance"];

Lookup[#, {"Title", "CreationDate"}] & /@ (financePosts[[2]] // 
   Normal)
Attachment

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Damanjit Singh
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract