Message Boards Message Boards

[?] Install Mathematica on Raspberry Pi 4?

I attempted to install 11.3 and got this list of errors:

Installing Wolfram Engine... Selecting previously unselected package wolfram-engine.
(Reading database ... 140908 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack wolfram-engine_11.3.0+2018052403_armhf.deb ...
wolfram-eula license has already been accepted
Unpacking wolfram-engine (11.3.0+2018052403) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of wolfram-engine:
 wolfram-engine depends on oracle-java7-jdk | oracle-java8-jdk; however:
  Package oracle-java7-jdk is not installed.
  Package oracle-java8-jdk is not installed.
 wolfram-engine depends on libhunspell-1.4-0; however:
  Package libhunspell-1.4-0 is not installed.
 wolfram-engine depends on libssl1.0.2; however:
  Package libssl1.0.2 is not installed.
 wolfram-engine depends on coinor-libipopt1v5; however:
  Package coinor-libipopt1v5 is not installed.
 wolfram-engine depends on libcurl3; however:
  Package libcurl3 is not installed.
 wolfram-engine depends on libraw15; however:
  Package libraw15 is not installed.
 wolfram-engine depends on libgmime-2.6-0; however:
  Package libgmime-2.6-0 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing package wolfram-engine (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Anyone successful getting it installed?

POSTED BY: Leonard Reinhart
10 Replies
Posted 5 years ago

The installation from the application menu of Mathematica 12 seemed to work fine on my new Raspberry Pi 4 (no changes to default system), but after starting the program I tried to access the online documentation and the other websites for Wolfram and received an error: because /home/pi was prepended to http://... and the combined address of course could not be found. I tried removing the installation and reinstalling manually from the terminal with sudo apt-get install wolfram-engine which also worked, but had the same problem. Then I downloaded the shell from the Wolfram site and after removing the software again installed with that. Same problem. Is there some way to fix this in preferences or with another installation or environment change? The problem affects the basic help functionality with F1 as well as all internet lookups from the menus. I would be grateful for any resolution ideas.

POSTED BY: John McC

Thanks Ilya for the clear facts, very helpful indeed!

A benchmark score of 0.18 on the raspi4 isn't impressive at all imho.

POSTED BY: Raspi Rascal

I don't think it is that bad, though of course I still remember when it used to be 0.01

POSTED BY: Ilian Gachevski

I am not sure how FreeBSD got involved, but the following statements are true

1) Raspbian Buster is the only released version of Raspbian that runs on the RPi 4

2) Mathematica 12.0 for Linux-ARM is compatible with Raspbian Buster

3) Mathematica 12.0 for Linux-ARM is compatible with Raspbian Stretch

4) Mathematica 11.3 for Linux-ARM is not compatible with Raspbian Buster

5) Mathematica 11.3 for Linux-ARM is compatible with Raspbian Stretch

6) RPi 3 or earlier may run Raspbian Buster or Raspbian Stretch

Anonymous User
Anonymous User
Posted 5 years ago

You cannot solve a depends for (freebsd i assume) with ubuntu. Freebsd is preferred because it is fully sourced (ubuntu has allot of "magic binaries"). Particularly with ubuntu if you install the version "you need" it will corrupt the whole system. (with freebsd you have the source, but it'd be too much un-paid work unless you are being paid to release mm on that platform?)

Each release of ubuntu or debian causes a cascade failure of many things which "they no longer support". Even if you install all the packages it wants the versions will be wrong. But those people do not honor compatibility - even the same version may have missing symbols.

Dependency is an address in memory LITERALLY: if it isn't there or if it's been moved or changed any software relying on it will fail (and they know that and control it for their quiet goals). Hundreds of millions of these you cannot just "fix it": you have to do what they demand (use certain brands) or leave. With freebsd you could wave a magic wand - excepting if hardware makers have locked you out with "depends", which also can happen and is moreso a lockout. And NO, it didn't used to be that way (it's a 2000's phenomenon).

Raspberry forums would be a better place to ask, but I assume your solution is to install the same OS for the previous Rasberry until there is news a newer freebsd supports it. Your problem from there is old freebsd may not have driver support for the new raspberry hardware (u r locked out), with flat denial as to why (having eons to arrange such a thing), and new drivers don't backport to older OS typically due to "shuffling of the deck", sir dice.

If Raspberry Forums do not know I'd say perhaps the store will take a "30 day return" and you can order the cheaper last version which works so much easier? I understand the Pi 4 is only $35 so getting a low cost laptop may not be an option your considering.

My best advice is do not spend allot of time unless your being paid or consider it as entertainment to be doing these things.

POSTED BY: Anonymous User

So to anyone with raspi4 and Mma 11.x or Mma 12.0:

How fast does the Mathematica software perform on the new hardware? Could you try the following on the raspi4 please?

Needs["Benchmarking`"]
BenchmarkReport[]

On the raspi3B (not 3B+) with Stretch and Mathematica 11.3 the benchmark yields a score of 0.06 omg. Maybe i should ask this question on the raspi forum haha.

POSTED BY: Raspi Rascal

The expected score should be around 0.18

I tried: sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install wolfram-engine earlier this morning and got a message saying the package did not exist. But I just tried: sudo apt update sudo apt upgrade sudo apt install worlfram-engine and it installed just fine. I don't know if there is a difference in "apt" vs "apt-get" or if a couple of hours passing made the difference, I also tried "sudo apt install wolframscript" and got a message that the currently installed was the newest and some packages were automatically installed and no longer required and I could run "sudo apt autoremove" to remove them.

Everything looks fine. Thank you very much.

11.3 is not compatible with Raspbian Buster.

12.0 to be released within days is compatible and can be installed as usual

sudo apt update
sudo apt install wolfram-engine

It should also work on Raspbian Stretch, but it looks like for now the two .deb packages (wolframscript and wolfram-engine) need to be installed manually.

Here is some more information:

The following packages have unmet dependencies: wolfram-engine : Depends: oracle-java7-jdk but it is not installable or oracle-java8-jdk but it is not installable Depends: libhunspell-1.4-0 but it is not installable Depends: libssl1.0.2 but it is not going to be installed Depends: coinor-libipopt1v5 but it is not going to be installed Depends: libcurl3 but it is not installable Depends: libraw15 but it is not installable Depends: libgmime-2.6-0 but it is not going to be installed

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract