Message Boards Message Boards

|
|
7 Replies
|
0 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:

Construct a M X N matrix with results imported from another matrix?

Posted 5 years ago

I want to construct a M X N matrix with results imported from another matrix. The entries in this matrix shall be c1+c2,c1+c3,...c1+c22, c2+c3, c2+c4..... and so on. Basically, I want a matrix of all possible combinations. The problem with the attached code is probably in the partition line function as it only produces two pairs of columns with offset of one and not all the possible combinations of columns. Could you please help me solve this problem?

Attachments:
POSTED BY: Nehal Elshaboury
7 Replies
Posted 5 years ago

One way

ClearAll[a, b, c];
symbols = {a, b, c};
columns = Length@symbols;

(* Test data *)
rows = 5;
pathmatrix = Partition[Range[rows*columns], columns]
(* {{1, 2, 3}, {4, 5, 6}, {7, 8, 9}, {10, 11, 12}, {13, 14, 15}} *)

values = pathmatrix[[All, #]] & /@ Range@columns;
Thread@Set[Evaluate@symbols, values];

symbols
(* {{1, 4, 7, 10, 13}, {2, 5, 8, 11, 14}, {3, 6, 9, 12, 15}} *)
POSTED BY: Rohit Namjoshi

Thanks a lot. The last code is very simple and worked great for me. I have another question please do you know a smart code to this part:

a = pathmatrix[[All, 1]];

b = pathmatrix[[All, 2]];

c = pathmatrix[[All, 3]];

because I want to apply it to a large matrix.

Thanks a lot. The last code is very simple and worked great for me. I have another question please do you know a smart code to this part: a = pathmatrix[[All, 1]]; b = pathmatrix[[All, 2]]; c = pathmatrix[[All, 3]]; because I want to apply it to a large matrix.

Posted 5 years ago

Perhaps

pathmatrix={{p,q,r},{s,t,u},{v,w,x}}; (*make an example matrix*)
a = pathmatrix[[All, 1]];b = pathmatrix[[All, 2]];c = pathmatrix[[All, 3]];
pairs = Subsets[{a, b, c}, {2}];
tpairs = Transpose[pairs, {1, 3, 2}];
cols = Apply[Plus, tpairs, {2}];
colmat = Transpose[cols];

versus

newcolmat=Transpose[Map[Apply[Plus,#]&,Subsets[Transpose[pathmatrix],{2}]]];
colmat==newcolmat

which returns True

or slightly simpler

newcolmat=Transpose[Apply[Plus,Subsets[Transpose[pathmatrix],{2}],{1}]]
POSTED BY: Bill Nelson

Actually, I tried the function subset to get all the possible combinations of the columns and it worked! a = pathmatrix[[All, 1]] b = pathmatrix[[All, 2]] c = pathmatrix[[All, 3]]..... and so on pairs = Subsets[{a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m, n, o, p, q, r, s, t, u, v}, {2}] tpairs = Transpose[pairs, {1, 3, 2}] cols = Apply[Plus, tpairs, {2}] colmat = Transpose[cols] // MatrixForm Do you know any smarter way to do this?

I understand your code but actually, the entries to the required matrix are entire columns of a matrix and not certain values. what I meant by c1 is first column in the matrix, c2 is the second column in the matrix and so on. I think your code works on certain values and not arrays.

Nehal,

I am not sure exactly what you want to do. Maybe post a simple example of a 3x4 input and the output you expect. I would look at the function Inner. I think it can be coaxed to give you what you want without writing all of that code. For example:

mat = {{a1, a2, a3, a4}, {b1, b2, b3, b4}, {c1, c2, c3, c4}}
Inner[Plus, Transpose[mat], mat]

Returns a matrix which is {{col1+col1, col1+col2, col1+col3, col1+col4}, {{col2+col1, col2+col2, col2+col3, col2+col4}, {col3+col1, col3+col2, col3+col3, col3+col4}, {col4+col1, col4+col2, col4+col3, col4+col4}

in this example it is: {{2 a1 + 2 b1 + 2 c1, a1 + a2 + b1 + b2 + c1 + c2, a1 + a3 + b1 + b3 + c1 + c3, a1 + a4 + b1 + b4 + c1 + c4}, {a1 + a2 + b1 + b2 + c1 + c2, 2 a2 + 2 b2 + 2 c2, a2 + a3 + b2 + b3 + c2 + c3, a2 + a4 + b2 + b4 + c2 + c4}, {a1 + a3 + b1 + b3 + c1 + c3, a2 + a3 + b2 + b3 + c2 + c3, 2 a3 + 2 b3 + 2 c3, a3 + a4 + b3 + b4 + c3 + c4}, {a1 + a4 + b1 + b4 + c1 + c4, a2 + a4 + b2 + b4 + c2 + c4, a3 + a4 + b3 + b4 + c3 + c4, 2 a4 + 2 b4 + 2 c4}}

If that is not exactly what you want, you can change its inputs or extract part of the result since, as best I can tell, it is close to what you want.

Regards,

Neil

POSTED BY: Neil Singer
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract