Message Boards Message Boards

GROUPS:

Why N is not affecting the rest of Power, but not NHoldRest is set?

Posted 1 year ago
|
2 Replies
|
6 Total Likes
|

Dear all,

I'm surprised why "N" is not affecting all parameters of "Power", even "Power" has not the attribute "NHoldRest"? Is this feature documented somewhere, or is it a bug?

Input:

Attributes[Power]
SetAttributes[myPower, Attributes[Power]]
Power[x, 2] //N //FullForm
Power[2, y] //N //FullForm
myPower[x, 2] //N //FullForm
myPower[2, y] //N //FullForm

Result:

{Listable, NumericFunction, OneIdentity, Protected}
Power[x, 2]
Power[2.`, y]
myPower[x, 2.`]
myPower[2.`, y]

Mathematica 10.0.2 (x64), Windows 7

2 Replies

I don't see why this should be called a bug. The behaviour is exactly as it should be, although it is not achieved through NHoldRest, but through other means.

Why is it not achieved through NHoldRest? I don't know, but the most reasonable guess is that there are cases where a naïve use of NHoldRest would cause behaviour that seems unreasonable from a mathematical perspective. Let us try to find such a case.

It seems to me that the following would be such a case:

In[]:= N@Power[x, Power[2, y]]
Out[]= x^2.^y

More generally, Power[x, f[someExplicitNumber]] would be such a case, e.g. Power[x, Sin[2]].

Why treat Sin[2] differently from 2? Well, x^2 is x*x. The same is not valid for x^2.0. Thus there is value in retaining the exact 2 in x^2. More importantly, retaining integer powers in polynomial expression would seem essential.

What about rational powers? One would expect N@Sqrt[x] to stay Sqrt[x] and not turn into x^0.5.

The same does not apply to something like x^Sin[2].

I'm not sure if this is documented, But I guess you have to interpet x^2 as x*x indeed. If you want to force it you could do:

x^(5/2)
MapAt[N, %, -1]

giving:

x^2.5

Also: I think that N tries to evaluate the entire expression to an approximate number, not necessarily all the subexpressions.

Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract