|
|
2 Replies
|
1 Total Likes
View groups...
Share this post:
GROUPS:

how to show or find full path of file listed in the File->Open dialog?

Posted 11 years ago
I tend to name some files, which are in different folders, with the same name. Say source.nb

But when going back to open a specific file from one folder, using File->Open dialog, it does not show the full path of the file. Even a right-click on the file name, or hovering the mouse over the name, has no pop-up menu to show the full path name. This makes it hard to know in which folder any of these files are in.  So I end up opening the wrong file many times. Here is a screen shot:

I looked at options and did not see a way to change this. It might be there and overlooked it. I search for "file" options. Using V 9.01 on windows.
Would any one know of a way to make it either display the full path name, or at least when hovering the mouse over the name, it will display the full path name in a small pop-up help display (which is the common way most applications handle this sort of thing).

thank you,
--Nasser
POSTED BY: Nasser M. Abbasi
2 Replies
Nasser, 

You can definitely send a email to tech support as a suggestion. Meanwhile, you can try two things: 

1. Use the welcome window

2. Use command line to pin the file: 
TableForm[NotebooksMenu /. Options[$FrontEnd]]
POSTED BY: Shenghui Yang
` welcome window`  I tried this method. But after I opened a file using it, the welcome window itself seems to have disappeared completely after the file was opened.

Hence I can't use it any more to open other files. Is there a way to make the welcome window show again?

I do not understand your second method `TableForm[NotebooksMenu /. Options[$FrontEnd]]`. After I issue this command, what do I do with it?

I can't send email to support asking for feature request, since I do not have premier service at this time. May be someone here who have premier service can do that. This  feature would be good thing to have. Almost any app I use allows one to see the full path name of a file in its dialog.

Update

I have posted this question at stackexchange. So I will follow it up there. Thanks for your help.

thank you,
--Nasser
POSTED BY: Nasser M. Abbasi
Reply to this discussion
Community posts can be styled and formatted using the Markdown syntax.
Reply Preview
Attachments
Remove
or Discard

Group Abstract Group Abstract